Need help creating feature list

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

For version 8.3, we released this helpful full feature list:

http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/features83

I'd like to do something of the kind for version 8.4.  Can someone take
this on as a project?  Is there already something started on the wiki?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Need help creating feature list

From
"Paragon Corporation"
Date:
Josh,

You probably know this already, but just in case.  I always find the feature
matrix most useful (even more so than the release notes) and the hyperlinks
-- with short descriptor seem suitable for a full feature list if there
isn't one already.

Its already got 8.4 in there

http://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix

Thanks,
Regina

Date:
On 5/28/09 3:31 PM, Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Josh,
>
> You probably know this already, but just in case.  I always find the feature
> matrix most useful (even more so than the release notes) and the hyperlinks
> -- with short descriptor seem suitable for a full feature list if there
> isn't one already.
>
> Its already got 8.4 in there
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix

Yep.  And I plan to link it again this year.  But we still need a more
detailed description of the features.

It looks like someone has started this, though:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WhatsNew84

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need help creating feature list

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 5/28/09 3:31 PM, Paragon Corporation wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>> You probably know this already, but just in case.  I always find the
>> feature
>> matrix most useful (even more so than the release notes) and the
>> hyperlinks
>> -- with short descriptor seem suitable for a full feature list if there
>> isn't one already.
>>
>> Its already got 8.4 in there
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix
>
> Yep.  And I plan to link it again this year.  But we still need a more
> detailed description of the features.

By the way, I don't think there's any guarantee that the feature matrix
is complete :-) So it's certainly appreciated to have more people look
it over for missing entries.

//Magnus

Re: Need help creating feature list

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 5/28/09 3:31 PM, Paragon Corporation wrote:
>>> Josh,
>>>
>>> You probably know this already, but just in case.  I always find the
>>> feature
>>> matrix most useful (even more so than the release notes) and the
>>> hyperlinks
>>> -- with short descriptor seem suitable for a full feature list if there
>>> isn't one already.
>>>
>>> Its already got 8.4 in there
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/about/featurematrix
>> Yep.  And I plan to link it again this year.  But we still need a more
>> detailed description of the features.
>
> By the way, I don't think there's any guarantee that the feature matrix
> is complete :-) So it's certainly appreciated to have more people look
> it over for missing entries.

well I usually update it every few weeks, it should be pretty complete
for 8.4 except for some minor copy editing and URL updates left to do
before the release.

Stefan

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:

>>> Yep.  And I plan to link it again this year.  But we still need a more
>>> detailed description of the features.
>>
>> By the way, I don't think there's any guarantee that the feature matrix
>> is complete :-) So it's certainly appreciated to have more people look
>> it over for missing entries.
>
> well I usually update it every few weeks, it should be pretty complete
> for 8.4 except for some minor copy editing and URL updates left to do
> before the release.

I wasn't aware you were doing that on a regular schedule. I thought it
was mostly random :)

My apologies.

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> By the way, I don't think there's any guarantee that the feature matrix
>>> is complete :-) So it's certainly appreciated to have more people look
>>> it over for missing entries.
>> well I usually update it every few weeks, it should be pretty complete
>> for 8.4 except for some minor copy editing and URL updates left to do
>> before the release.
>
> I wasn't aware you were doing that on a regular schedule. I thought it
> was mostly random :)

well every few weeks on a random schedule or so :)

Stefan

Re: Need help creating feature list

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

I've added descriptions of 10 features to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WhatsNew84

Please pitch in and add more ... we have 293 features to cover!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: Need help creating feature list

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
I am not sure, if variadic functions should to help with porting from
SQL server or sybase. Variadic functions is unique feature, and I
don't know any database that support it.

Default parameters intensively use Oracle too.

regards
Pavel Stehule

Date:
On 6/1/09 1:00 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> I am not sure, if variadic functions should to help with porting from
> SQL server or sybase. Variadic functions is unique feature, and I
> don't know any database that support it.
>
> Default parameters intensively use Oracle too.

It's a wiki.  Please update.  ;-)

You could also add descriptions of some of your other features.  It's
all you!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.