copy/paste URL for a tarball

From
Dan Langille
Date:
Hi,

Here's a simple task.  Download a tarball source file from the
PostgreSQL
website.  Open your browser, find the URL to the tarball, copy/paste it
from your browser into your ssh session, then do a wget on it.

I could not find an easy way to get the URL for this task.

The webpage seems to redirect to local mirrors.  I understand the goal
of redirection.

However, if I want the tarball URL, as I understand, I must start the
download in my browser, then get the URL from that process,
then copy/paste.  I see no way to get the download URL without
starting the download.

For example:

Starting here:

   http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.3.5/

How can I easily get this URL (or something similar) into my paste
buffer:

   ftp://ftp5.us.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/source/v8.3.5/postgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2

Did I miss something?

:)

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/

Re: copy/paste URL for a tarball

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

> Starting here:
>
>  http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.3.5/
>
> How can I easily get this URL (or something similar) into my paste buffer:
>
>  ftp://ftp5.us.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/source/v8.3.5/postgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2
>
> Did I miss something?

Possibly - or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. On the flag
list you see having chosen a file to download, right-click the link
you want to use and copy the URL, eg:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/redir?http%3A%2F%2Fftp2.uk.postgresql.org%2Fsites%2Fftp.postgresql.org%2Fsource%2Fv8.3.5%2Fpostgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2

wget will do the right thing with such a URL, and get the file you
want, from the mirror you've chosen.

--
Dave Page

On Dec 16, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Starting here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v8.3.5/
>>
>> How can I easily get this URL (or something similar) into my paste
>> buffer:
>>
>> ftp://ftp5.us.postgresql.org/pub/PostgreSQL/source/v8.3.5/postgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2
>>
>> Did I miss something?
>
> Possibly - or maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. On the flag
> list you see having chosen a file to download, right-click the link
> you want to use and copy the URL, eg:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/redir?http%3A%2F%2Fftp2.uk.postgresql.org%2Fsites%2Fftp.postgresql.org%2Fsource%2Fv8.3.5%2Fpostgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2

Perhaps I'm merely missing the "quotes" around the URL in my wget... :)

--

Date:
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/redir?http%3A%2F%2Fftp2.uk.postgresql.org%2Fsites%2Fftp.postgresql.org%2Fsource%2Fv8.3.5%2Fpostgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2

> Perhaps I'm merely missing the "quotes" around the URL in my wget... :)

I didn't need any here. I tested on FreeBSD fwiw.

--
Dave Page

Re: copy/paste URL for a tarball

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 10:40 -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Did I miss something?
>
> :)

As far as I know, you can't. Which brings up a good point. We should
have a list of mirrors.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
On Dec 16, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
> wrote:

http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/redir?http%3A%2F%2Fftp2.uk.postgresql.org%2Fsites%2Fftp.postgresql.org%2Fsource%2Fv8.3.5%2Fpostgresql-8.3.5.tar.bz2

>> Perhaps I'm merely missing the "quotes" around the URL in my
>> wget... :)
>
> I didn't need any here. I tested on FreeBSD fwiw.

AIX here.... Sorry, this post was probably premature and was
definitely done without caffeine.

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/