OK to share press contacts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Advocacy geeks,

As part of my job on this project, I maintain a list of open-source
friendly press contacts for PostgreSQL press releases, probably about
100 members of the english-speaking tech press.

A friend of mine who is launching an open source education project,
including education about open source DBs, has asked for a copy of the
list.  The person is trustworthy, but the list is PostgreSQL.org
property ... any reason I shouldn't share it?

--Josh Berkus

Re: OK to share press contacts?

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:00:17 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Advocacy geeks,
>
> As part of my job on this project, I maintain a list of open-source
> friendly press contacts for PostgreSQL press releases, probably about
> 100 members of the english-speaking tech press.
>
> A friend of mine who is launching an open source education project,
> including education about open source DBs, has asked for a copy of
> the list.  The person is trustworthy, but the list is PostgreSQL.org
> property ... any reason I shouldn't share it?

Perhaps if we knew what the project was, it would be easier to
ascertain if we were happy with the idea. Also is this a one off
transfer or a collaboration?

Joshua D. Drake

Re: OK to share press contacts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Perhaps if we knew what the project was, it would be easier to
> ascertain if we were happy with the idea. Also is this a one off
> transfer or a collaboration?

"We are FLOSS Manuals, a non-profit foundation based in Amsterdam. We are
a community of free documentation writers creating free manuals about
free software.
http://www.flossmanuals.net/
http://www.flossmanuals.net/about"

--Josh

Re: OK to share press contacts?

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:37:43 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Josh,
>
> > Perhaps if we knew what the project was, it would be easier to
> > ascertain if we were happy with the idea. Also is this a one off
> > transfer or a collaboration?
>
> "We are FLOSS Manuals, a non-profit foundation based in Amsterdam. We
> are a community of free documentation writers creating free manuals
> about free software.
> http://www.flossmanuals.net/
> http://www.flossmanuals.net/about"

Very cool! O.k. I am on board.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: OK to share press contacts?

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Advocacy geeks,
>
> As part of my job on this project, I maintain a list of open-source
> friendly press contacts for PostgreSQL press releases, probably about
> 100 members of the english-speaking tech press.
>
> A friend of mine who is launching an open source education project,
> including education about open source DBs, has asked for a copy of the
> list.  The person is trustworthy, but the list is PostgreSQL.org
> property ... any reason I shouldn't share it?
I don't see an issue with this, but wonder what precedent it might
create for future requests of this type?

chander

> --Josh Berkus

Re: OK to share press contacts?

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:
Hi all,

>> A friend of mine who is launching an open source education project,
>> including education about open source DBs, has asked for a copy of the
>> list.  The person is trustworthy, but the list is PostgreSQL.org
>> property ... any reason I shouldn't share it?

Given the details you sent, I'm +1 with like, like JD is.

> I don't see an issue with this, but wonder what precedent it might
> create for future requests of this type?

I agree with Chander...

One solution I think about is that you relay some message(s) from your
friend(s) (or every that will do or may ask us?) to your list.

This way, your friend (or whoever) will not have directly the names nor
e-mails. But if he(she/they) do write things well like "if you want more
info, please mail me at..." the interested people may contact him directly?

Because one problem I see there is that your contacts trust you, but you
may ask them before giving their names or e-mails to a third party. And
this could take days for a 100+ e-mails list.

Another problem in my solution is that you may get annoyed to relay
messages every so on when someone asks you? Or it is this something you
will do twice a year?

IMHO, this problem is not so trivial and needs thinking. The keypoint is
privacy and how we may share contacts inside the project.

Cheers,

PS: any good solution found here is of high interest for any PG local
group, IMHO.

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org

Re: OK to share press contacts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jean-Paul,

> This way, your friend (or whoever) will not have directly the names nor
> e-mails. But if he(she/they) do write things well like "if you want more
> info, please mail me at..." the interested people may contact him directly?

That's actually more of a problem than not.  If I send the e-mail, it's
a *personal* endorsement by me of his project ... and since I haven't
worked on the project, that seems unwise.

> Because one problem I see there is that your contacts trust you, but you
> may ask them before giving their names or e-mails to a third party. And
> this could take days for a 100+ e-mails list.

Well, he'd get a filtered version of the list.  Some of the people on my
list aren't formal journalists, and others are database-only.

> IMHO, this problem is not so trivial and needs thinking. The keypoint is
> privacy and how we may share contacts inside the project.

Privacy?  I am talking about a list of *journalists*.

--Josh