oscon booth report - more details.

From
gabrielle
Date:
Link to my post to -general listing the booth volunteers:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-07/msg01076.php

Booth photos from flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bitpusher/2696574958/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seokchanyun/2698606943/

That is our groovy new folding banner in the background.  It collapses
down into a hard case approximately the size of a tuba, with rolling
wheels for easy transpo.  It's a bit awkward for someone of my size
but not unmanageable.  Two people makes it easier.

Swag:
- We sold a lot of shirts.  I did not keep an inventory & am basing
that conclusion on the amount of money we had in the cash box and the
fact that the remaining shirts fit in a single box.
- The USB keys did not do as well as we'd hoped.  People really wanted
them as a freebie.
- We threw in a tin of M&Ms with t-shirt or usb key purchase.  This
seemed to work well.
- The stickers were a big hit again & we were out of them by midway
through the second day.
- The bags remain a popular item.
- I believe we successfully deployed all of the EnterpriseDB mugs.

Two things I didn't get to do that I wanted to:
- Temporary tattoos.  I couldn't find a merchant that looked
trustworthy & would make a run of less than 1000.  I have some other
contacts for this item & will continue to look into it.
- List of Pg-related talks at OSCON.  This was on my list of things to
prep and I let it slip.  I'll try that again next time.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

gabrielle

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM, gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

Thank you, Gabrielle, for running the booth!  You did an amazing job.

-selena

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
"Michael Alan Brewer"
Date:
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM, gabrielle <gorthx@gmail.com> wrote:

> - I believe we successfully deployed all of the EnterpriseDB mugs.

I've still got one, if anybody needs it... ;)

Well done, Gabrielle!  :)

---Michael Brewer
mbrewer@gmail.com

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 02:32 +0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > The USB keys did not do as well as we'd hoped.  People really
> > wanted them as a freebie.
>
> Yes, I still think that's what we should do. It's silly to charge
> for a USB key. How many do we have left anyway?

Well it is the same cost as the "Make" booth was asking for theirs
(according to Mbrewer). However, what I was thinking was that we put a
shirt, tote and key all together for 25.00.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Well it is the same cost as the "Make" booth was asking for theirs
> (according to Mbrewer). However, what I was thinking was that we put a
> shirt, tote and key all together for 25.00.

Hmmm.  I thought the idea of the USB keys was to load them up with software,
maybe a bootable demo image.  Then give them to "special people" in terms of
genuine interest.

Also, we appear to be almost out of shirts.

I seem to recall mentioning that they wouldn't "sell" on their own with some
booths giving away USB keys for the price of listening to a sales pitch.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL

Date:
On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 20:33 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Well it is the same cost as the "Make" booth was asking for theirs
> > (according to Mbrewer). However, what I was thinking was that we put a
> > shirt, tote and key all together for 25.00.
>
> Hmmm.  I thought the idea of the USB keys was to load them up with software,
> maybe a bootable demo image.  Then give them to "special people" in terms of
> genuine interest.

Yes, due to circumstances outside the booths control, that didn't
happen.

> Also, we appear to be almost out of shirts.

Yes which we knew.

> I seem to recall mentioning that they wouldn't "sell" on their own with some
> booths giving away USB keys for the price of listening to a sales pitch.

At this point we can do whatever we want, they are paid for but
remember, they cost the same as a shirt.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> At this point we can do whatever we want, they are paid for but
> remember, they cost the same as a shirt.

Well, they won't go bad.  I'd suggest holding on to them until we can do
something really useful with them.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL
San Francisco

Re: oscon booth report - more details.

From
"Mark Wong"
Date:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> At this point we can do whatever we want, they are paid for but
>> remember, they cost the same as a shirt.
>
> Well, they won't go bad.  I'd suggest holding on to them until we can do
> something really useful with them.

I've been playing with getting Ubuntu to boot on one.  I picked Ubuntu
because I found the most help with setting up a persistent install on
them.  I'm not picky so other pointers welcome for other distros.

I will continue experimenting, but I only have 1 of the usb drives
though.  Any change the rest are still in the Portland area?  I figure
a few more would be more than enough to play with a couple of distros.

Regards,
Mark