A FAQ that needs updating?

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
I'm hoping this is just an old link; but search engines
still seem to like it.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/faq
======================
Q: When will 8.3 come out?
A: version 8.3 is planned to be a short development cycle, coming out
   around July 2007. It's possible that it will be delayed, of course.

Q: Why a short development cycle?
A: For two reasons: (1) we had some major features that didn't make
   the 8.2 release for technical reasons, and (2) we're trying to
   move away from doing the bulk of our intgration and testing in
   midsummer, when many developers are unavailable.

Q: What features will 8.3 have?
A: As always, we can't be certain what will go in and what won't;
   the project has strict quality standards that not all patches can
   make before deadline. However, there were several features which
   just needed a little more work to make 8.2, and those are expected
   to be merged in the first month of 8.3 development. These include
   on-disk compressed bitmap indexes, SQL:XML syntax support, a PL/pgSQL
   debugger, and SQL-standard updatable views.
======================

Also, This item:
================
Q: Are there any published benchmarks for PostgreSQL?
A: Not currently. Several members of the PostgreSQL development
   team are working with Open Source Development Labs and Sun
   Microsystems on both open source and industry benchmarks.
   Nothing has yet reached the stage of publication, though.
================
seems to contradict
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
"Mark Wong"
Date:
On Jan 22, 2008 2:56 PM, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping this is just an old link; but search engines
> still seem to like it.
[snip]

> Also, This item:
> ================
> Q: Are there any published benchmarks for PostgreSQL?
> A: Not currently. Several members of the PostgreSQL development
>    team are working with Open Source Development Labs and Sun
>    Microsystems on both open source and industry benchmarks.
>    Nothing has yet reached the stage of publication, though.
> ================
> seems to contradict
> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/postgresql-publishes-first-real-benchmark-17470

Not to mention that the OSDL doesn't exist anymore...

Regards,
Mark

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

Date:
One week later and this web site remains unchanged.  :-(

Ron Mayer wrote:
> I'm hoping this is just an old link; but search engines
> still seem to like it.
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/faq
> ======================
> Q: When will 8.3 come out?
> A: version 8.3 is planned to be a short development cycle, coming out
>    around July 2007. It's possible that it will be delayed, of course.
>
> Q: Why a short development cycle?
> A: For two reasons: (1) we had some major features that didn't make
>    the 8.2 release for technical reasons, and (2) we're trying to
>    move away from doing the bulk of our intgration and testing in
>    midsummer, when many developers are unavailable.
>
> Q: What features will 8.3 have?
> A: As always, we can't be certain what will go in and what won't;
>    the project has strict quality standards that not all patches can
>    make before deadline. However, there were several features which
>    just needed a little more work to make 8.2, and those are expected
>    to be merged in the first month of 8.3 development. These include
>    on-disk compressed bitmap indexes, SQL:XML syntax support, a PL/pgSQL
>    debugger, and SQL-standard updatable views.
> ======================
>
> Also, This item:
> ================
> Q: Are there any published benchmarks for PostgreSQL?
> A: Not currently. Several members of the PostgreSQL development
>    team are working with Open Source Development Labs and Sun
>    Microsystems on both open source and industry benchmarks.
>    Nothing has yet reached the stage of publication, though.

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:45:43 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>

> > One week later and this web site remains unchanged.  :-(
> >
> >     http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/faq
>
> Who controls the FAQ?

I would like to know myself.  I assume Josh Berkus but am just guessing.
Can we just remove the last three items on that page?

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:01:26 -0500 (EST)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:01:26 -0500 (EST)
> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Who controls the FAQ?
>> I would like to know myself.  I assume Josh Berkus but am just
>> guessing. Can we just remove the last three items on that page?
>
> O.k. just so I am 100% clear :) We are talking about the /press/faq
> right? If so... IMO the following needs to happen:
>
> The press FAQ should be a section (internal ref of course) within the
> general FAQ as I am guessing there is some significant overlap.
>
> I believe that press should be replaced with the word Advocacy or maybe
> Advocacy & Press.
>
> All redundant information should be removed between the general and
> press advocacy sections.
>
> Add a section on the FAQ page for the Advocacy & Press section that
> links to the section within the general FAQ.
>
> Appropriate rewrites put in place to push all requests for the old FAQ
> to the new (and proper) one.
>
> Thoughts?

IIRC, the press FAQ is translated to lots of languages, and the general
one isn't.

That said, I agree that it's a problem since it will often be outdated...

//Magnus

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I would like to know myself.  I assume Josh Berkus but am just
> > guessing. Can we just remove the last three items on that page?
>
> O.k. just so I am 100% clear :) We are talking about the /press/faq
> right? If so... IMO the following needs to happen:
>
> The press FAQ should be a section (internal ref of course) within the
> general FAQ as I am guessing there is some significant overlap.
>
> I believe that press should be replaced with the word Advocacy or maybe
> Advocacy & Press.
>
> All redundant information should be removed between the general and
> press advocacy sections.
>
> Add a section on the FAQ page for the Advocacy & Press section that
> links to the section within the general FAQ.
>
> Appropriate rewrites put in place to push all requests for the old FAQ
> to the new (and proper) one.

I wasn't going to go that far at this point.  I was just suggesting
removing the bottom three items that are related to the 8.3 release.

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> I would like to know myself.  I assume Josh Berkus but am just guessing.
> Can we just remove the last three items on that page?

It's just a page on the website.  The base text is under source code control
on the Press pgfoundry project; nobody updates it but me, although a lot of
people have permissions to do so if they wanted to.

I'll be updating it for the 8.3 release, of course, which will remove the
offending items.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: A FAQ that needs updating?

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I wasn't going to go that far at this point.  I was just suggesting
> removing the bottom three items that are related to the 8.3 release.

And presumably the other item mentioned up-thread about
no published benchmarks but the (no longer existing) OSDL
and Sun working on such benchmarks?