Queries

From
"Anindya Bhattacharyya"
Date:
Kindly let me know whether post GresSql is capable of storing images and what is the maximum size of such images that the database can handle.
Also whether it is capable of biometric identifications

Regards

Anindya Bhattacharyya

Sr IT Manager
CMC Ltd

Kolkata

Mobile no 9831422264

DISCLAIMER “The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. Thank you"

Re: Queries

From
Christian Voelker
Date:
Am 21.01.2008 um 08:47 schrieb Anindya Bhattacharyya:

> Kindly let me know whether post GresSql

PostgreSQL or Postgres as an acceptable shorthand
(sorry for being picky with this, but there is a
lengthy discussion going on how to ensure that
related information is found)

> is capable of storing images

Yes. You might want to have a look at

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/largeobjects.html>

> and what is the maximum size of such images that the database can
> handle.

I dont know of a limit.

Storing BLOBs is a special topic. There are people
on this list who told they use it in production,
but I personally believe that you have to have a
very good reason to do so. Portability is not neces-
sarily one of them. There are abstraction layers
for using a separate bitstore within a filesystem
like Storage Resource Broker SRB so that you have
to store only the path in the db. DSpace is an
implementation example in Java for this approach.

> Also whether it is capable of biometric identifications

I cant imagine which datatype this should be exactly.
Maybe you define your own type? Look here:

<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/datatype.html>
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-createtype.html>

Bye, Christian