Sun and open source, where is postgresql ?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Hello,

just read "Getting Paid to Develop"
http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/getting_paid_to_develop
that Sun will pay open-source developers.
"This year's participants include OpenSolaris, GlassFish, OpenJDK,
OpenSPARC, NetBeans, and OpenOffice.org."

Where is PostgreSQL ?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: Sun and open source, where is postgresql ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just read "Getting Paid to Develop"
> http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/getting_paid_to_develop
> that Sun will pay open-source developers.
> "This year's participants include OpenSolaris, GlassFish, OpenJDK,
> OpenSPARC, NetBeans, and OpenOffice.org."
>
> Where is PostgreSQL ?

Or GNOME, or X.org?  I'm not sure exactly how the list of applications
was chosen.  Possibly it was primarily projects which didn't get into
Google SoC.  Or ones which have active Indian communities.

--Josh Berkus

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> just read "Getting Paid to Develop"
>> http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/getting_paid_to_develop
>> that Sun will pay open-source developers.
>> "This year's participants include OpenSolaris, GlassFish, OpenJDK,
>> OpenSPARC, NetBeans, and OpenOffice.org."
>>
>> Where is PostgreSQL ?
>
> Or GNOME, or X.org?  I'm not sure exactly how the list of applications
> was chosen.  Possibly it was primarily projects which didn't get into
> Google SoC.  Or ones which have active Indian communities.

Update on this.  Apparently there were legal reasons why the set of
projects for the first year had to be projects which are run by Sun.  If
the program goes well, maybe we'll be involved next year.

--Josh

Re: Sun and open source, where is postgresql ?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> just read "Getting Paid to Develop"
>>> http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/getting_paid_to_develop
>>> that Sun will pay open-source developers.
>>> "This year's participants include OpenSolaris, GlassFish, OpenJDK,
>>> OpenSPARC, NetBeans, and OpenOffice.org."
>>>
>>> Where is PostgreSQL ?
>>
>> Or GNOME, or X.org?  I'm not sure exactly how the list of applications was
>> chosen.  Possibly it was primarily projects which didn't get into Google
>> SoC.  Or ones which have active Indian communities.
>
> Update on this.  Apparently there were legal reasons why the set of
> projects for the first year had to be projects which are run by Sun.  If
> the program goes well, maybe we'll be involved next year.

Does this mean that Sun will run PostgreSQL next year?  Seems scary.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
Essentially, you're proposing Kevlar shoes as a solution for the problem

Re: Sun and open source, where is postgresql ?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Alvaro,

> Does this mean that Sun will run PostgreSQL next year?  Seems scary.

Heh.  Not likely.

No, I meant I'm hopeful that Sun can settle issues with international
contest law next year so that they can fund "outside" projects as well
(PostgreSQL, GNOME, X.org, etc.).

--Josh