When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
http://use.perl.org/~Smylers/journal/34246

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare@jasonic.dk

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
"vincent"

> http://use.perl.org/~Smylers/journal/34246
>
> --

The biggest quirk is that in version 4.1 and above, you can disable or
enable this "quirk-mode" at will. You can get consistent behaviour if you
want it... if you don't, just disable it...

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 8/29/07, vincent <vinny@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> The biggest quirk is that in version 4.1 and above, you can disable or
> enable this "quirk-mode" at will. You can get consistent behaviour if you
> want it... if you don't, just disable it...

Yep.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:

> http://use.perl.org/~Smylers/journal/34246

Got a chuckle here on how allballs is both NULL and NOT NULL
simultaneously ...

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
Brian Hurt
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
http://use.perl.org/~Smylers/journal/34246
Got a chuckle here on how allballs is both NULL and NOT NULL
simultaneously ...

I was chuckling at the point where data intergrity is "quaint and old-fasioned".

I was laughing because the alternative was crying.

Brian

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:15:39AM -0400, Brian Hurt wrote:

> I was laughing because the alternative was crying.

I actually shed a tear when I read this part:

    But after all the above my preferred option is simply not to
    let MySQL get anywhere near my dates, storing everything as
    epoch seconds in integer fields, which can be stored and
    retrieved reasonably sanely and without giving MySQL a chance
    to fiddle with them -- it can't even tell they are dates!

"Oh!  Look!  Dates are broken!  So, I'll do all the date math myself
out in my application!"  No maintenance headaches there, for sure.  No
wonder MySQL is so popular with contract programmers: they can
guarantee years of income in the future just by working around
misfeatures in MySQL!

Perhaps PostgreSQL needs to introduce a GUC to control such
behaviours too.  Then we could be popular like that.  Here's a modest
proposal, with defaults set for present-day Postgres behaviour:

job_security_check_wholedate = true
job_security_check_dateparts = true
job_security_zerodate_sometimes_null = false
job_security_zerodate_sometimes_notnull = false
job_security_enforce_constraints = true
job_security_enforce_constraints_always = true
job_securty_enforce_constraints_bytable = false
job_security_ignore_foreign_keys = false
job_security_feature_subset_by_table = false

The problem with this proposal, of course, is that most of these
controls would be significant work to implement in Postgres, since
it's so rigid as to be unwilling to ignore the bad data you're trying
to put into its datatype, even though you "know what you're doing."
Obviously, Postgres was designed in the bad old days when programmers
thought they were gods; today, it'd be way more flexible.

Best regards,
Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>Perhaps PostgreSQL needs to introduce a GUC to control such
>behaviours too.  Then we could be popular like that.  Here's a modest
>proposal, with defaults set for present-day Postgres behaviour:

LOL.

At least, I hope that was a joke.

Brian

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
No. I guess we'll have a thread of 150 messages talking how we name this
feature ;-)

Rgs,

Jussi

Brian Hurt wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Perhaps PostgreSQL needs to introduce a GUC to control such
>> behaviours too.  Then we could be popular like that.  Here's a modest
>> proposal, with defaults set for present-day Postgres behaviour:
>>

> LOL.
>
> At least, I hope that was a joke.
>
> Brian

Re: When MySQL Bites: Quirks to Watch Out For

From
"Mark Aufflick"
Date:
Wow - multiple values simultaneously - that's quantum computing!

--
Mark Aufflick
  contact info at http://mark.aufflick.com/about/contact