Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
"Dave Page"

I fully support the use of a wiki for that (a good example is Greg Smith's recent pg/my comparison). I *do not* support
theuse of a wiki for final publication of anything aimed at end users.

I also have no issue experimenting with permissions to help Josh and the advocacy guys, but I don't think another wiki
isrequired.

/D

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

+1

regards,
Lukas

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

In the interests of "solving the real problem" let me explain why the current
wiki permissions aren't working for *some* Advocacy stuff.

For both OSCON and LWE we did this:

1) Put up a wiki page to sign up booth volunteers etc.
2) Posted a call for volunteers to several public mailing lists of PUGs, LUGs,
PMs etc.
3) People tried to sign up on the wiki and found that they couldn't.
4) People e-mailed me/Josh/Selena and we had to edit the wiki for them.
5) Eventually Selena got frustrated and set up a wiki page on an external
site.

This is why I was specifically thinking of a 2nd wiki for "temporary" pages.
While I would not object to automating the authorization process for the main
developer wiki, wiki pages for coordinating activities are kind of a separate
task from (for example) writing developer docs or PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
comparisons (there was, btw, no vandalism on this external wiki).

The "booth duty wiki" needs authorization which is simple and immediate so
that we can pull in volunteers; authorization for the Developer wiki can (and
maybe should) be more cumbersome in order to discourage automated vandalism.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> I fully support the use of a wiki for that (a good
>> example is Greg Smith's recent pg/my comparison).
>> I *do not* support the use of a wiki for final
>> publication of anything aimed at end users.
>
> Well, that's a problem - Google doesn't really care where
> on the postgresql.org we stick something, or whether
> it is a wiki or a techdocs or a simple HTML page.

We could always stick a robots.txt in there to make google stay away. Or
 perhaps somehow changed the header/footer of the pages?

>> I also have no issue experimenting with permissions to
>> help Josh and the advocacy guys, but I don't think another
>> wiki is required.
>
> It's simple really - I don't think we should allow unmoderated,
> anonymous content on the postgresql.org site. Requiring an email
> address slightly raises the bar, but offers little overall
> protection. The bar right now is a loose web of trust - "Does
> somebody know who this person is? Okay, let them edit the wiki"
> The ad-hoc mechanism for implementing this could be improved,
> of course, but this was an experiment.

Perhaps it just needs to be documented better? As in today if you don't
know who "Greg" and "Neil" are, you don't know how to get permissions..

> A successful one, as it
> turns out: it has shown that having a wiki is an excellent way
> of allowing community collaboration.

Absolutely.

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-www] We need an Advocacy wiki

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:

> It's simple really - I don't think we should allow unmoderated,
> anonymous content on the postgresql.org site.

Do you object to the mail archives? Our mailing lists are fundamentally
anonymous as well.

--
  Gregory Stark

Date: