Weekly News links

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Weekly News links

From
elein
Date:
Although I have not been writing new articles for sometime,
the archives of a hundred or so articles are accessible from there.
That is why David mentions the archives.  It also enables google
to keep the link count up to date so people can find things.

When I get around to it (I'm kind of busy these days) I will
put an index or title list up so that the old article is not
there.

I IMNSHO think the reference should stay. But I will bow to the
wishes of the masses if people don't think it is useful.

--elein
elein@varlena.com

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:25:38PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>        match

Re: Weekly News links

From
Decibel!
Date:
I think it's a great resource that we should link to, but I'm not
sure if it warrants weekly mention....

My $0.02...

On Jul 31, 2007, at 5:06 PM, elein wrote:

> Although I have not been writing new articles for sometime,
> the archives of a hundred or so articles are accessible from there.
> That is why David mentions the archives.  It also enables google
> to keep the link count up to date so people can find things.
>
> When I get around to it (I'm kind of busy these days) I will
> put an index or title list up so that the old article is not
> there.
>
> I IMNSHO think the reference should stay. But I will bow to the
> wishes of the masses if people don't think it is useful.
>
> --elein
> elein@varlena.com
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:25:38PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>        match
>>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: Weekly News links

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Elein,

> > Although I have not been writing new articles for sometime,
> > the archives of a hundred or so articles are accessible from there.
> > That is why David mentions the archives.  It also enables google
> > to keep the link count up to date so people can find things.

Well, PWN is for new stuff for the current week.  Unless someone takes up
updating GeneralBits again, it seems like it would make more sense to have
GB linked from /Docs but not mentioned in PWN.

Of course, it's really up to David.  I doubt anyone cares really strongly
about it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Weekly News links

From
Dave Page
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
>>> Although I have not been writing new articles for sometime,
>>> the archives of a hundred or so articles are accessible from there.
>>> That is why David mentions the archives.  It also enables google
>>> to keep the link count up to date so people can find things.
>
> Well, PWN is for new stuff for the current week.  Unless someone takes up
> updating GeneralBits again, it seems like it would make more sense to have
> GB linked from /Docs but not mentioned in PWN.

Agreed.

> Of course, it's really up to David.  I doubt anyone cares really strongly
> about it.

I'd rather see more news summary than the same unchanged links over and
over again. That sort of content just makes me ignore the whole publication.

/D

Re: Weekly News links

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 07:35:54PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
> > > Although I have not been writing new articles for sometime,
> > > the archives of a hundred or so articles are accessible from there.
> > > That is why David mentions the archives.  It also enables google
> > > to keep the link count up to date so people can find things.
>
> Well, PWN is for new stuff for the current week.  Unless someone takes up
> updating GeneralBits again, it seems like it would make more sense to have
> GB linked from /Docs but not mentioned in PWN.

Agreed. Even if someone does - but we should of course highlight the good
articles as pieces of news (and from my experience, that would mean most of
the archives that are posted on gb, but may not by definition).

BTW, it's already on the web under resources:
http://www.postgresql.org/community/resources

Plus, it's aggregated on planet, of course.

//Magnus