Regarding Distributed Database features

From
"Chidambaram Janamaddi"
Date:
Hello!
                  Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has  Distributed Database supporting features?
Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or partially supported among the following ......................
  •   Local autonomy
  •   No reliance on a central site
  •   Continuous operation
  •   Location independence
  •   Fragmentation independence
  •   Replication independence
  •   Distributed query independence
  •   Distributed transaction processing
  •   Hardware independence
  •   Operating system independence
  •   Network independence
  •   Database independence
Hope you reply me at the earliest possible.

                                          Thanks and regards.

                                                                                               ------Chidambaram

Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
> Hello!
>                   Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> Distributed Database supporting features?

No.

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On July 13, 2007 08:16 am, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
> > Hello!
> >                   Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> > Distributed Database supporting features?
>
> No.
>
> > Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or
> > partially supported among the following ......................
> >
> >     *   Local autonomy
> >     *   No reliance on a central site
> >     *   Continuous operation
> >     *   Location independence
> >     *   Fragmentation independence
> >     *   Replication independence
> >     *   Distributed query independence
> >     *   Distributed transaction processing
> >     *   Hardware independence
> >     *   Operating system independence
> >     *   Network independence
> >     *   Database independence

It's a database server, so Database independance dos't make much sence here.
However using 3rd party adons such as dbi-link, you can query other, non
PostgreSQL databases from within the PostgreSQL RDBMS.

Now that I take a second read through these questions,  I suspect that you
arn't even sure what it is you are asking, but are just trying to do some
sort of purely marketing based feature comparison.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Command Prompt, Inc.

Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 13 July 2007 11:16, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
> > Hello!
> >                   Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> > Distributed Database supporting features?
>
> No.

While the question is far too vague to be given a solid answer, I think you're
being dismissive of question. PostgreSQL works fine as a piece of a
distributed database solution, though it generally requires some glue code to
make it all work, but that's generally true of most databasee.

> > Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or
> > partially supported among the following ......................
> >
> >     *   Local autonomy
> >     *   No reliance on a central site
> >     *   Continuous operation
> >     *   Location independence
> >     *   Fragmentation independence
> >     *   Replication independence
> >     *   Distributed query independence
> >     *   Distributed transaction processing
> >     *   Hardware independence
> >     *   Operating system independence
> >     *   Network independence
> >     *   Database independence

Again, the above checkbox items are too vauge to give you a real answer.
PostgreSQL is not designed as a distributed database, but it can be a piece
of a distributed database system if your trying to put one together, but
you'd need to speak more specifically of implementation details and provide
much more context to have a meaningful conversation about it.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:20:44AM -0400, Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
>                  Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
> Distributed Database supporting features?

This depends on what you mean.  You can do some of these things via
various tools like dbi-link.  That said,

> Which of the Distributed database functionalities are totally or partially
> supported among the following ......................

This sounds like a checklist you got from a marketing website.  What
is the problem you are trying to solve?

>   -   Local autonomy
>   -   No reliance on a central site

These sounds like you want multimaster replication.  Postgres doesn't
do that today (and I know of only one system that really does, which
I couldn't recommend for other reasons).

>   -   Continuous operation

Depending on what this means, "Yes".

>   -   Location independence

What does this mean?

>   -   Fragmentation independence
>   -   Replication independence

And these don't make any sense to me at all.

>   -   Distributed query independence
>   -   Distributed transaction processing

Probably not, but depening on what these mean, maybe "sometimes".

>   -   Hardware independence
>   -   Operating system independence
>   -   Network independence

I think so.

>   -   Database independence

This one is mystifying to me.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin

Re: Regarding Distributed Database features

From
Chris Browne
Date:
ajs@crankycanuck.ca (Andrew Sullivan) writes:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:20:44AM -0400, Chidambaram Janamaddi wrote:
>>                  Can you please let me know whether postgreSQL has
>> Distributed Database supporting features?
>
>>   -   Database independence
>
> This one is mystifying to me.

It sounds like part of a list that someone that didn't understand
distributed databases might make up...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/sgml.html