Looking for Graphical people for PostgreSQL tradeshow signage

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

We are looking to have new signage for the shows that PostgreSQL
attends. The signage that we have decided on is here:

http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=7371

We need artsy folk to help us design a sign that will make PostgreSQL
look like the big bad player it is.

The art requirements for the signage are here:

http://www.displays2go.com/BannerGuidelines/POPUP8ST_ArtGuide.htm

An example of the FreeBSD one is here:

http://obso1337.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1635

We need to be able to decide on artwork by the end of June.

Let the glorious submissions begin!

Joshua D. Drake
PostgreSQL Liaison

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [GENERAL] Looking for Graphical people for PostgreSQL tradeshow signage

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,

Is anyone going to try for this? If not I can have our designer do it,
but I would prefer it be a community deal.

> We are looking to have new signage for the shows that PostgreSQL
> attends. The signage that we have decided on is here:
>
> http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=7371
>
> We need artsy folk to help us design a sign that will make PostgreSQL
> look like the big bad player it is.
>
> The art requirements for the signage are here:
>
> http://www.displays2go.com/BannerGuidelines/POPUP8ST_ArtGuide.htm
>
> An example of the FreeBSD one is here:
>
> http://obso1337.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1635
>
> We need to be able to decide on artwork by the end of June.
>
> Let the glorious submissions begin!
>
> Joshua D. Drake
> PostgreSQL Liaison

Re: [GENERAL] Looking for Graphical people for PostgreSQL tradeshow signage

From
"Alexander Staubo"
Date:
On 6/7/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Is anyone going to try for this? If not I can have our designer do it,
> but I would prefer it be a community deal.
>

> > We are looking to have new signage for the shows that PostgreSQL
> > attends. The signage that we have decided on is here:

I tried to find the original vector graphics for the PostgreSQL
elephant logo, but couldn't find it anywhere. I think that's a
prerequisite. I would not mind having a stab at it.

Alexander.

Alexander,

> I tried to find the original vector graphics for the PostgreSQL
> elephant logo, but couldn't find it anywhere. I think that's a
> prerequisite. I would not mind having a stab at it.

www.pgfoundry.org/projects/graphics
look under "docs", there are AI files.

--Josh

Re: Re: [GENERAL] Looking for Graphical people for PostgreSQL tradeshow signage

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Hello,
>
> Is anyone going to try for this? If not I can have our designer do it,
> but I would prefer it be a community deal.

Reminder that we need designs in the next week and a half.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are looking to have new signage for the shows that PostgreSQL
> attends. The signage that we have decided on is here:
>
> http://www.displays2go.com/product.asp?ID=7371
>
> We need artsy folk to help us design a sign that will make PostgreSQL
> look like the big bad player it is.
>
> The art requirements for the signage are here:
>
> http://www.displays2go.com/BannerGuidelines/POPUP8ST_ArtGuide.htm
>
> An example of the FreeBSD one is here:
>
> http://obso1337.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1635
>
> We need to be able to decide on artwork by the end of June.
>
> Let the glorious submissions begin!
>
> Joshua D. Drake
> PostgreSQL Liaison

What is the status on the above? Are people working on it?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
> > Let the glorious submissions begin!
> >
> > Joshua D. Drake
> > PostgreSQL Liaison
> >

> What is the status on the above? Are people working on it?

Would a bit of attribution be allowed, directly on the sign,
"Contributed to PostgreSQL by lala of xyz.com"

If so, then I may be able to persuade someone that is very good.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Mike,

> Would a bit of attribution be allowed, directly on the sign,
> "Contributed to PostgreSQL by lala of xyz.com"
>
> If so, then I may be able to persuade someone that is very good.

I don't have a problem with that idea, as long as the donor logo is modest.
My real concern is getting something which is attractive and interesting.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Mike,
>
>> Would a bit of attribution be allowed, directly on the sign,
>> "Contributed to PostgreSQL by lala of xyz.com"
>>
>> If so, then I may be able to persuade someone that is very good.
>
> I don't have a problem with that idea, as long as the donor logo is modest.
> My real concern is getting something which is attractive and interesting.

As long as the modesty is the word of the day, I would be ok with it as
well.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Mike,

> "W/ that signage set-up they've chosen, they seriously should just
> consider a bold colored/big logo/big name graphics. I designed a booth
> for Brooks Stevens for a major house wares show and one thing I've
> learned is that people overdo their booth/exhibit design. It ends up
> cluttered and visually noisy. And when you have a thousand booths with
> cluttered multicolored "stuff", to stand out you need to take a bold and
> clean approach. It's not about how many colors/gradients/fonts you can
> cram in a square foot, it's about stating your identity loud and clear.

Well, you can easily point her to our existing logo graphics.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Re: [GENERAL] Looking for Graphical people for PostgreSQL tradeshow signage

From
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com
Date:
OK.  She's in and may subscribe so I don't need to act as interpreter.

She is a designer -- so a handful of concise keywords for the desired
message would be helpful.  Also - her comment, after having read the specs:

"W/ that signage set-up they've chosen, they seriously should just
consider a bold colored/big logo/big name graphics. I designed a booth
for Brooks Stevens for a major house wares show and one thing I've
learned is that people overdo their booth/exhibit design. It ends up
cluttered and visually noisy. And when you have a thousand booths with
cluttered multicolored "stuff", to stand out you need to take a bold and
clean approach. It's not about how many colors/gradients/fonts you can
cram in a square foot, it's about stating your identity loud and clear. "

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> >> Would a bit of attribution be allowed, directly on the sign,
> >> "Contributed to PostgreSQL by lala of xyz.com"
> >>
> >> If so, then I may be able to persuade someone that is very good.
> >
> > I don't have a problem with that idea, as long as the donor logo
> is modest.
> > My real concern is getting something which is attractive and
> interesting.>
>
> As long as the modesty is the word of the day, I would be ok with
> it as
> well.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
>
>       === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
>              http://www.commandprompt.com/
>
> Donate to the PostgreSQL Project:
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/donatePostgreSQL Replication:
> http://www.commandprompt.com/products/
>
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)-----------------------
> ----

> OK.  She's in and may subscribe so I don't need to act as interpreter.
>
> She is a designer -- so a handful of concise keywords for the desired
> message would be helpful.  Also - her comment, after having read the specs:
>
> "W/ that signage set-up they've chosen, they seriously should just
> consider a bold colored/big logo/big name graphics. I designed a booth
> for Brooks Stevens for a major house wares show and one thing I've
> learned is that people overdo their booth/exhibit design. It ends up
> cluttered and visually noisy. And when you have a thousand booths with
> cluttered multicolored "stuff", to stand out you need to take a bold and
> clean approach. It's not about how many colors/gradients/fonts you can
> cram in a square foot, it's about stating your identity loud and clear. "

Ooh ... this girl's good!

Just put the elephant and the word "PostgreSQL" and color it the appropriate
blue.  When you think about it, that's going to stand out big time.

From there, if there's enough blank space on it, you can always hang temp
signs if there's something in particular you want to announce at a specific
event.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Date:
> Insult mode?  I'm baffled by that statement.
>
> If I'd meant to be sarcastic, there would be appropriate indicators to
> make it non-ambiguous.  Did you take my response to be sarcastic?
> becauseit was not.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Yes I did.  Glad I was in error and my apologies for the misread.

Thanks,
Mike Ellsworth

Date:

> > OK.  She's in and may subscribe so I don't need to act as
> interpreter.
> >
> > She is a designer -- so a handful of concise keywords for the
> desired> message would be helpful.  Also - her comment, after
> having read the specs:
> >
> > "W/ that signage set-up they've chosen, they seriously should just
> > consider a bold colored/big logo/big name graphics. I designed a
> booth> for Brooks Stevens for a major house wares show and one
> thing I've
> > learned is that people overdo their booth/exhibit design. It ends up
> > cluttered and visually noisy. And when you have a thousand booths
> with> cluttered multicolored "stuff", to stand out you need to take
> a bold and
> > clean approach. It's not about how many colors/gradients/fonts
> you can
> > cram in a square foot, it's about stating your identity loud and
> clear. "
>
> Ooh ... this girl's good!
>
> Just put the elephant and the word "PostgreSQL" and color it the
> appropriateblue.  When you think about it, that's going to stand
> out big time.
>
> From there, if there's enough blank space on it, you can always
> hang temp
> signs if there's something in particular you want to announce at a
> specificevent.

Maybe provide the courtesy of reserving judgment until you see
something, then continue with insult mode.