Linuxworld Toronto, April 30 - May 2

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Is anybody planning to attend this and set up a booth?

http://www.it360.ca/

Robert

Re: Linuxworld Toronto, April 30 - May 2

From
Chris Browne
Date:
robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
> Is anybody planning to attend this and set up a booth?
>
> http://www.it360.ca/

I have involvement with the local LUG booth.  I don't have a
particular "PostgreSQL hat" on in that context.

It would be a nice thing to have *something* PostgreSQL-relevant
'deployed' there.

I'm not sure a booth is the right answer; the rules associated with
having a free booth are somewhat restrictive.  If you have a free
booth, you're there to promote some form of user group, and it's
verboten to try to sell commercial services to passers-by.

And it's probably rather late to be *starting* to negotiate a booth...

It seems to me that having a PostgreSQL talk would probably be more
useful.  But it's months too late; the due date, for that, was
November 4, 2005...
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html

Re: Linuxworld Toronto, April 30 - May 2

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 21 Jan 2007 at 15:01, Chris Browne wrote:

> robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
> > Is anybody planning to attend this and set up a booth?
> >
> > http://www.it360.ca/
>
> I have involvement with the local LUG booth.  I don't have a
> particular "PostgreSQL hat" on in that context.
>
> It would be a nice thing to have *something* PostgreSQL-relevant
> 'deployed' there.
>
> I'm not sure a booth is the right answer; the rules associated with
> having a free booth are somewhat restrictive.  If you have a free
> booth, you're there to promote some form of user group, and it's
> verboten to try to sell commercial services to passers-by.
>
> And it's probably rather late to be *starting* to negotiate a booth...
>
> It seems to me that having a PostgreSQL talk would probably be more
> useful.  But it's months too late; the due date, for that, was
> November 4, 2005...

Noted.  If someone asks, we might just get it.  The worst that can
happen is a refusal.  No harm.  No foul.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: Linuxworld Toronto, April 30 - May 2

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 10:11:44AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2007 at 15:01, Chris Browne wrote:
>
> > robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
> > > Is anybody planning to attend this and set up a booth?
> > >
> > > http://www.it360.ca/
> >
> > I have involvement with the local LUG booth.  I don't have a
> > particular "PostgreSQL hat" on in that context.
> >
> > It would be a nice thing to have *something* PostgreSQL-relevant
> > 'deployed' there.
> >
> > I'm not sure a booth is the right answer; the rules associated with
> > having a free booth are somewhat restrictive.  If you have a free
> > booth, you're there to promote some form of user group, and it's
> > verboten to try to sell commercial services to passers-by.
> >
> > And it's probably rather late to be *starting* to negotiate a booth...
> >
> > It seems to me that having a PostgreSQL talk would probably be more
> > useful.  But it's months too late; the due date, for that, was
> > November 4, 2005...
>
> Noted.  If someone asks, we might just get it.  The worst that can
> happen is a refusal.  No harm.  No foul.

Yeah, if it's anything like Linuxfest NW, it might not be hard to still
get a speaking spot.

Date:
dan@langille.org ("Dan Langille") writes:
> On 21 Jan 2007 at 15:01, Chris Browne wrote:
>
>> robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
>> > Is anybody planning to attend this and set up a booth?
>> >
>> > http://www.it360.ca/
>>
>> I have involvement with the local LUG booth.  I don't have a
>> particular "PostgreSQL hat" on in that context.
>>
>> It would be a nice thing to have *something* PostgreSQL-relevant
>> 'deployed' there.
>>
>> I'm not sure a booth is the right answer; the rules associated with
>> having a free booth are somewhat restrictive.  If you have a free
>> booth, you're there to promote some form of user group, and it's
>> verboten to try to sell commercial services to passers-by.
>>
>> And it's probably rather late to be *starting* to negotiate a booth...
>>
>> It seems to me that having a PostgreSQL talk would probably be more
>> useful.  But it's months too late; the due date, for that, was
>> November 4, 2005...
>
> Noted.  If someone asks, we might just get it.  The worst that can
> happen is a refusal.  No harm.  No foul.

Well, I have a meeting tomorrow where I wear my "LUG" hat and where
we're inviting extra folks in specifically to talk about matters for
this conference.

I do not see much point in pushing for a booth, fundamentally as I'm
not sure who would staff it, but I'll make sure I bend an ear or two
concerning presentations.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/

Re: Linuxworld Toronto, April 30 - May 2

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, dan@langille.org ("Dan Langille") transmitted:
> On 21 Jan 2007 at 15:01, Chris Browne wrote:
>
>> robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
>> > Is anybody planning to attend this and set up a booth?
>> >
>> > http://www.it360.ca/
>>
>> I have involvement with the local LUG booth.  I don't have a
>> particular "PostgreSQL hat" on in that context.
>>
>> It would be a nice thing to have *something* PostgreSQL-relevant
>> 'deployed' there.
>>
>> I'm not sure a booth is the right answer; the rules associated with
>> having a free booth are somewhat restrictive.  If you have a free
>> booth, you're there to promote some form of user group, and it's
>> verboten to try to sell commercial services to passers-by.
>>
>> And it's probably rather late to be *starting* to negotiate a booth...
>>
>> It seems to me that having a PostgreSQL talk would probably be more
>> useful.  But it's months too late; the due date, for that, was
>> November 4, 2005...
>
> Noted.  If someone asks, we might just get it.  The worst that can
> happen is a refusal.  No harm.  No foul.

It loooks like neither a speaker nor a booth will happen.

But...

If we have some suitable brochure that could be given out, *that*
could certainly go to a LUG booth.

My ideal would be something that fits on a doublesided sheet of
8.5x11" paper...

I was just looking at the list of items in the PR project...
<http://pgfoundry.org/docman/index.php?group_id=1000047>

The "lisa_06.pdf" file looks somewhat suitable, as does the 8 page
LISA_copious_final.pdf...

http://www.alberton.info/downloads/postgresql-cheat-sheet.png is
pretty neat.

There is supposedly something here; I can't access it...
  http://net-tex.dnsalias.org/~stefan/nt/netbsd/advocacy/pg/
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html