MySQL Enterprise - Community split

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
I hope that this list is OK for rumors/information about competitor moves.

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/12/29/where-to-get-recent-mysql-version/

It may be old news for others, but at least I didn't know about the "Recent
Policies" at MySQL.

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare@jasonic.dk

Re: MySQL Enterprise - Community split

From
"news.postgresql.org"
Date:
Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> I hope that this list is OK for rumors/information about competitor moves.
>
> http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/12/29/where-to-get-recent-mysql-version/
>
> It may be old news for others, but at least I didn't know about the "Recent
> Policies" at MySQL.

I am in contact with mysql ab community department to get some
clarifications. If you look at the initial announcement from Kaj, it
never discusses anything in the direction of not providing binaries
anymore. In the past MySQL AB was always very keen to get OSS users to
use their binaries to make bug handling easier. Also Windows users (the
bulk of LAMP development is done on WAMP) obviously need those binaries.  So this is a big issue indeed.

regards,
Lukas

Re: MySQL Enterprise - Community split

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
news.postgresql.org wrote:
> Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>> I hope that this list is OK for rumors/information about competitor
>> moves.
>>
>> http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/12/29/where-to-get-recent-mysql-version/
>>

>> It may be old news for others, but at least I didn't know about the
>> "Recent Policies" at MySQL.
>
> I am in contact with mysql ab community department to get some
> clarifications. If you look at the initial announcement from Kaj, it
> never discusses anything in the direction of not providing binaries
> anymore. In the past MySQL AB was always very keen to get OSS users to
> use their binaries to make bug handling easier. Also Windows users (the
> bulk of LAMP development is done on WAMP) obviously need those binaries.
>  So this is a big issue indeed.

Ok, the situation is that they are only doing new binaries for the
community stuff 4-6 times a year. So there is just a delay with new
binaries that will likely result in skipping versions from the
Enterprise tree.

regards,
Lukas

Date:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> news.postgresql.org wrote:
>> Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>>> I hope that this list is OK for rumors/information about competitor
>>> moves.
>>>
>>> http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/12/29/where-to-get-recent-mysql-version/
>>>

>>> It may be old news for others, but at least I didn't know about the
>>> "Recent Policies" at MySQL.
>>
>> I am in contact with mysql ab community department to get some
>> clarifications. If you look at the initial announcement from Kaj, it
>> never discusses anything in the direction of not providing binaries
>> anymore. In the past MySQL AB was always very keen to get OSS users to
>> use their binaries to make bug handling easier. Also Windows users
>> (the bulk of LAMP development is done on WAMP) obviously need those
>> binaries.  So this is a big issue indeed.
>
> Ok, the situation is that they are only doing new binaries for the
> community stuff 4-6 times a year. So there is just a delay with new
> binaries that will likely result in skipping versions from the
> Enterprise tree.

official word:
http://www.planetmysql.org/kaj/?p=82

regards,