complete success at systems in Munich/Germany

From
Susanne Ebrecht
Date:
Hi,
The technology exhibition Systems 2006 in Munich, Germany was last week
(October 23-27).
The publisher C&L (German magazine FreeX) sponsored some of  the open
source booths including PostgreSQL.

There were 53000 visitors.

Every day from 10:00 to 17:30 it was very busy at the PostgreSQL booth.
Thinking about a 5 minute rest was not possible.

The most frequently asked question was: what is the different to oracle.

Other frequently asked questions were:
what is the different to mysql
how difficult is a migration from another system to PostgreSQL
and questions about replication, clustering, backup and GIS/GIST.

Lots of international visitors were interested in PostgreSQL.
Some visitors come from Scandinavia but lots of visitors come from
eastern europe (Hungary, Bulgaria, etc.) and countries like Russia,
Belarus, Ukraina, Latvia, Estonia, etc.

Also there were lots of visitors from big companies at the booth and
told us, they already use PostgreSQL.

Now we know, PostgreSQL is found in the most big german companies (e.g.
common German carriers, banks, insurances, car makers, companies for
domestic appliances)

In a nutshell, the systems in Munich/Germany was a complete success.

Susanne

Re: complete success at systems in Munich/Germany

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Susanne,

> Now we know, PostgreSQL is found in the most big german companies (e.g.
> common German carriers, banks, insurances, car makers, companies for
> domestic appliances)

Wow, did you get any names?

> In a nutshell, the systems in Munich/Germany was a complete success.

This is terrific.  Please let us know if you put pictures up.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Susanne,
>

>> Now we know, PostgreSQL is found in the most big german companies (e.g.
>> common German carriers, banks, insurances, car makers, companies for
>> domestic appliances)
>>

> Wow, did you get any names?

Sorry, I am not allowed to say the names.

>> In a nutshell, the systems in Munich/Germany was a complete success.
>>

> This is terrific.  Please let us know if you put pictures up.

I took my camera to Munich, but it was so busy at the booth, that I
forgot making picture. Some of the others took pictures and I hope they
will inform me when this pictures are online.

Susanne

Re: complete success at systems in Munich/Germany

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 30 October 2006 18:57, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Susanne,
> >
> >> Now we know, PostgreSQL is found in the most big german companies (e.g.
> >> common German carriers, banks, insurances, car makers, companies for
> >> domestic appliances)
> >
> > Wow, did you get any names?
>
> Sorry, I am not allowed to say the names.

We never are! :-)

Still it sounds like you guys did some great work and had some really good
impact on people.  You've also given us some items we need to make sure we
have answers for as people continue to do booth duty.

--
Robert Treat