Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql

----

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Kinda scary when the US doesn't even rank on any of their 'top lists' ...

----

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Kinda scary when the US doesn't even rank on any of their 'top lists' ...

Doesn't surprise me actually. The US is far behind in OSS adoption in
comparison to pretty much every other country in the world.

But all that means is there is a WHOLE lot more money to be made in the
US over the next 10 years :)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgres&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

postgres instead of postgresql

g.-

On 6/2/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Kinda scary when the US doesn't even rank on any of their 'top lists' ...
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

> > http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql
> >
> > ----
> > Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> > Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> > Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

> ----
> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

Guido Barosio
-----------------------
http://www.globant.com
guido.barosio@globant.com

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 02 June 2006 17:36, Guido Barosio wrote:
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgres&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all
>
> postgres instead of postgresql

I guess Josh, David, and Elein spend all day searching google for information
on Postgres :-)

--
Robert Treat

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
Kaare Rasmussen
Date:
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql

Just to compare:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=linux
http://www.google.com/trends?q=microsoft+windows
http://www.google.com/trends?q=oracle

--

Med venlig hilsen
Kaare Rasmussen, Jasonic

Jasonic                 Telefon: +45 3816 2582
Nordre Fasanvej 12
2000 Frederiksberg      Email: kaare@jasonic.dk

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Reading that the trends are "based upon just a portion of our searches" makes me believe
that the trend is based on sampling, and thus relative to the number of Google searches
overall (and thus *not* relative to its own history). That would explain a lot. There has
been a vast increase in Google overall usage over the last couple of years.

Another reason might be that the more common a term gets, the more pointless it becomes to
use it verbatim in a search. Using it phrases is a different matter of course but I doubt
the reflects fragments of phrases.

Google Labs admit that the product is "in the early stages of development". They probably
have a long way to go before the "trend" becomes meaningful to look at. In my opinion, the
"News Reference Volume" diagram is far more interesting the "Search Volume". That diagram
should be the major one.

My conclusion. This is not useful at all. Not yet.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
Dirk Riehle
Date:
The more interesting request is the comparison to (whatever), e.g. to MySQL

http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql%2C+mysql

I was somewhat surprised to see a downtrend but it seems to apply to
both terms. (Remember, this is all relative to the whole search
volume.) It can be different, here is what I'm mostly staring at these days:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=blog%2C+wiki

Dirk

At 02.06.2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql
>
>----
>Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
>Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
Ned Lilly
Date:
Hmm... and to someone's earlier point, this I think shows why the product is still bubbling in the Google Labs.  No
disrepectto Peru, but it's not immediately clear to me why Lima would be the universe-leading city in blog searches.

Dirk Riehle wrote:
> The more interesting request is the comparison to (whatever), e.g. to MySQL
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql%2C+mysql
>
> I was somewhat surprised to see a downtrend but it seems to apply to
> both terms. (Remember, this is all relative to the whole search volume.)
> It can be different, here is what I'm mostly staring at these days:
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=blog%2C+wiki
>
> Dirk
>
> At 02.06.2006, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> http://www.google.com/trends?q=postgresql
>>
>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
>> (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email . scrappy@hub.org                              MSN .
>> scrappy@hub.org
>> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

>       match

Re: Not sure how useful this is ... but ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I guess Josh, David, and Elein spend all day searching google for
> information on Postgres

... but less than they did  in 2004.  Look at the graph.   ;-)

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Quick Reference Software Guide

From
Michael Dean
Greetings:

Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do a
Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at quickstudycharts.com.
The top 100 relevant urls could be included, I am sure pervasive, Edb
and bizgres people would pay for short blurbs, etc.  I'm guilty! -- i
didn't pore over the website for previous similar suggestions.  The idea
is this -- many businesses go to Linuxworld, etc. to familiarize
themselves with open source software, in the hopes there is something
there they can adopt/adapt!  Let them come away with a mysql T-shirt,
and a postgresql study guide.  I bet a lot of folks would be amazed at
how SQLish postgresql is!

Michael

Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Michael,

> Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
> non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do a
> Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at quickstudycharts.com.

Sure, go for it -- we could use something like that.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Michael,
>
>> Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
>> non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do a
>> Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at quickstudycharts.com.
>
> Sure, go for it -- we could use something like that.

We would be willing to help with something like this.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From
Chander Ganesan
> Greetings:
>
> Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
> non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do
> a Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at
> quickstudycharts.com.  The top 100 relevant urls could be included, I
> am sure pervasive, Edb and bizgres people would pay for short blurbs,
> etc.  I'm guilty! -- i didn't pore over the website for previous
> similar suggestions.  The idea is this -- many businesses go to
> Linuxworld, etc. to familiarize themselves with open source software,
> in the hopes there is something there they can adopt/adapt!  Let them
> come away with a mysql T-shirt, and a postgresql study guide.  I bet a
> lot of folks would be amazed at how SQLish postgresql is!

We'd love to contribute to and sponsor something like this..

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999

> Michael

Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From
Chris Browne
Date:
mdean@sourceview.com (Michael Dean) writes:
> Greetings:
>
> Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
> non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do
> a Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at
> quickstudycharts.com.  The top 100 relevant urls could be included, I
> am sure pervasive, Edb and bizgres people would pay for short blurbs,
> etc.  I'm guilty! -- i didn't pore over the website for previous
> similar suggestions.  The idea is this -- many businesses go to
> Linuxworld, etc. to familiarize themselves with open source software,
> in the hopes there is something there they can adopt/adapt!  Let them
> come away with a mysql T-shirt, and a postgresql study guide.  I bet a
> lot of folks would be amazed at how SQLish postgresql is!

You know what I'd find really handy, in this vein?

A one page sheet that lists all of the standard stored functions,
categorized by area.

The book I most commonly keep around handy is _Practical PostgreSQL_,
where pages 176 thru 213 show usage info about the 'standard'
functions.  Having that on one card would be invaluable...
--
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/emacs.html

Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:09, Chris Browne wrote:
> mdean@sourceview.com (Michael Dean) writes:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
> > non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do
> > a Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at
> > quickstudycharts.com.  The top 100 relevant urls could be included, I
> > am sure pervasive, Edb and bizgres people would pay for short blurbs,
> > etc.  I'm guilty! -- i didn't pore over the website for previous
> > similar suggestions.  The idea is this -- many businesses go to
> > Linuxworld, etc. to familiarize themselves with open source software,
> > in the hopes there is something there they can adopt/adapt!  Let them
> > come away with a mysql T-shirt, and a postgresql study guide.  I bet a
> > lot of folks would be amazed at how SQLish postgresql is!
>
> You know what I'd find really handy, in this vein?
>
> A one page sheet that lists all of the standard stored functions,
> categorized by area.
>
> The book I most commonly keep around handy is _Practical PostgreSQL_,
> where pages 176 thru 213 show usage info about the 'standard'
> functions.  Having that on one card would be invaluable...

so the output of \df ??

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

http://www.wavefire.com
ph: 250.717.0200
fx: 250.763.1759

Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:44:20PM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:09, Chris Browne wrote:
> > mdean@sourceview.com (Michael Dean) writes:
> > > Greetings:
> > >
> > > Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
> > > non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do
> > > a Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at
> > > quickstudycharts.com.  The top 100 relevant urls could be included, I
> > > am sure pervasive, Edb and bizgres people would pay for short blurbs,
> > > etc.  I'm guilty! -- i didn't pore over the website for previous
> > > similar suggestions.  The idea is this -- many businesses go to
> > > Linuxworld, etc. to familiarize themselves with open source software,
> > > in the hopes there is something there they can adopt/adapt!  Let them
> > > come away with a mysql T-shirt, and a postgresql study guide.  I bet a
> > > lot of folks would be amazed at how SQLish postgresql is!
> >
> > You know what I'd find really handy, in this vein?
> >
> > A one page sheet that lists all of the standard stored functions,
> > categorized by area.
> >
> > The book I most commonly keep around handy is _Practical PostgreSQL_,
> > where pages 176 thru 213 show usage info about the 'standard'
> > functions.  Having that on one card would be invaluable...
>
> so the output of \df ??

I tend to find the output of \df pretty useless unless you already know
what the function you want is called.

Date:
On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:44:20PM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
>>
>> so the output of \df ??
>
> I tend to find the output of \df pretty useless unless you already know
> what the function you want is called.

The neat 'chart' that the programming dept at the University I worked at
had was a chart of system tables for Oracle, showing the
inter-relationships between them ... just to add my 2c worth ...

----

Date:
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:43:59PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:44:20PM -0700, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:
> >>
> >>so the output of \df ??
> >
> >I tend to find the output of \df pretty useless unless you already know
> >what the function you want is called.
>
> The neat 'chart' that the programming dept at the University I worked at
> had was a chart of system tables for Oracle, showing the
> inter-relationships between them ... just to add my 2c worth ...

There's actually a number of 'cheat sheets' that could be created.
System tables (though having something like newsysviews would probably
eliminate a lot of the need for that), system/stats views, function
reference, pl* reference, interface API references, etc.

Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From
"Guillaume Lelarge"
Date:
2006/6/7, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:43:59PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > >I tend to find the output of \df pretty useless unless you already know
> > >what the function you want is called.
> >
> > The neat 'chart' that the programming dept at the University I worked at
> > had was a chart of system tables for Oracle, showing the
> > inter-relationships between them ... just to add my 2c worth ...
>
> There's actually a number of 'cheat sheets' that could be created.
> System tables (though having something like newsysviews would probably
> eliminate a lot of the need for that), system/stats views, function
> reference, pl* reference, interface API references, etc.

Some already exist. For beginners, there is Peter Freitag's cheat
sheet (http://www.petefreitag.com/cheatsheets/postgresql/). There's
also Josh Berkus's annotated postgresql.conf (not really a small cheat
sheet but something really useful IMO).

--
Guillaume.

Date:
darcy@wavefire.com (Darcy Buskermolen) writes:

> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:09, Chris Browne wrote:
>> mdean@sourceview.com (Michael Dean) writes:
>> > Greetings:
>> >
>> > Just a suggestion for future shows.  Instead of non-relevant,
>> > non-utilitarian give-aways -- T-shirts, pins, etc., how about lets do
>> > a Quick Reference Software Guide such as those at
>> > quickstudycharts.com.  The top 100 relevant urls could be included, I
>> > am sure pervasive, Edb and bizgres people would pay for short blurbs,
>> > etc.  I'm guilty! -- i didn't pore over the website for previous
>> > similar suggestions.  The idea is this -- many businesses go to
>> > Linuxworld, etc. to familiarize themselves with open source software,
>> > in the hopes there is something there they can adopt/adapt!  Let them
>> > come away with a mysql T-shirt, and a postgresql study guide.  I bet a
>> > lot of folks would be amazed at how SQLish postgresql is!
>>
>> You know what I'd find really handy, in this vein?
>>
>> A one page sheet that lists all of the standard stored functions,
>> categorized by area.
>>
>> The book I most commonly keep around handy is _Practical PostgreSQL_,
>> where pages 176 thru 213 show usage info about the 'standard'
>> functions.  Having that on one card would be invaluable...
>
> so the output of \df ??

Is not organized functionally, and hence doesn't provide much guidance
as to which function I might want...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 07:43:59PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>>I tend to find the output of \df pretty useless unless you already know
>>>what the function you want is called.
>>>

>>The neat 'chart' that the programming dept at the University I worked at
>>had was a chart of system tables for Oracle, showing the
>>inter-relationships between them ... just to add my 2c worth ...
>>

>There's actually a number of 'cheat sheets' that could be created.
>System tables (though having something like newsysviews would probably
>eliminate a lot of the need for that), system/stats views, function
>reference, pl* reference, interface API references, etc.

I am collecting all of your suggestions, and they are great!  Perhaps we
could provide a significance to the Guide Project by following the lead
of several software study guides, which are 6 - 8 x  11  colored sheets
laminated, and folded into thirds (this size doesn't get lost in thrown
away mags).  The engineering needs of programmers could be accomodated,
the marketing needs of postgresql could be accomodated, and the
promotional needs of profit-making companies who consistently support
postgresql could be accomodated.  Any actual physical content you all
may have to share, please send to me via email at: mdean@sourceview.com,
or if a physical specimen, send to: Michael Dean, SourceView
Corporation, 716 Alhambra Ave., Martinez, CA 94553 USA.  All materials
received will be treated as "creative commons" materials.  Thanks

Date:
On Wednesday 07 June 2006 12:13, Michael Dean wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> >>The neat 'chart' that the programming dept at the University I worked at
> >>had was a chart of system tables for Oracle, showing the
> >>inter-relationships between them ... just to add my 2c worth ...
> >
> >There's actually a number of 'cheat sheets' that could be created.
> >System tables (though having something like newsysviews would probably
> >eliminate a lot of the need for that), system/stats views, function
> >reference, pl* reference, interface API references, etc.
>
> I am collecting all of your suggestions, and they are great!  Perhaps we
> could provide a significance to the Guide Project by following the lead
> of several software study guides, which are 6 - 8 x  11  colored sheets
> laminated, and folded into thirds (this size doesn't get lost in thrown
> away mags).  The engineering needs of programmers could be accomodated,
> the marketing needs of postgresql could be accomodated, and the
> promotional needs of profit-making companies who consistently support
> postgresql could be accomodated.  Any actual physical content you all
> may have to share, please send to me via email at: mdean@sourceview.com,
> or if a physical specimen, send to: Michael Dean, SourceView
> Corporation, 716 Alhambra Ave., Martinez, CA 94553 USA.  All materials
> received will be treated as "creative commons" materials.  Thanks

I noticed that barcharts has a "suggest a guide" section.  Might it be worth
contacting them to see if they would carry a postgresql based guide. We could
possibly offer them assistence in design in return for a bulk donation of
guides.  Thoughts?

--
Robert Treat

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:

>On Wednesday 07 June 2006 12:13, Michael Dean wrote:
>

>>Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>>>There's actually a number of 'cheat sheets' that could be created.
>>>System tables (though having something like newsysviews would probably
>>>eliminate a lot of the need for that), system/stats views, function
>>>reference, pl* reference, interface API references, etc.
>>>

>>I am collecting all of your suggestions, and they are great!  Perhaps we
>>could provide a significance to the Guide Project by following the lead
>>of several software study guides, which are 6 - 8 x  11  colored sheets
>>laminated, and folded into thirds (this size doesn't get lost in thrown
>>away mags).  The engineering needs of programmers could be accomodated,
>>the marketing needs of postgresql could be accomodated, and the
>>promotional needs of profit-making companies who consistently support
>>postgresql could be accomodated.  Any actual physical content you all
>>may have to share, please send to me via email at: mdean@sourceview.com,
>>or if a physical specimen, send to: Michael Dean, SourceView
>>Corporation, 716 Alhambra Ave., Martinez, CA 94553 USA.  All materials
>>received will be treated as "creative commons" materials.  Thanks
>>

>I noticed that barcharts has a "suggest a guide" section.  Might it be worth
>contacting them to see if they would carry a postgresql based guide. We could
>possibly offer them assistence in design in return for a bulk donation of
>guides.  Thoughts?

we would lose control of all aspects of the process.  1) they require
assignment of copyright, so everyone is locked in;
it is their product, including any updates.  Totally different model
than cafepress.

Date:
On Wednesday 07 June 2006 18:19, Michael Dean wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:

> >>I am collecting all of your suggestions, and they are great!  Perhaps we
> >>could provide a significance to the Guide Project by following the lead
> >>of several software study guides, which are 6 - 8 x  11  colored sheets
> >>laminated, and folded into thirds (this size doesn't get lost in thrown
> >>away mags).  The engineering needs of programmers could be accomodated,
> >>the marketing needs of postgresql could be accomodated, and the
> >>promotional needs of profit-making companies who consistently support
> >>postgresql could be accomodated.  Any actual physical content you all
> >>may have to share, please send to me via email at: mdean@sourceview.com,
> >>or if a physical specimen, send to: Michael Dean, SourceView
> >>Corporation, 716 Alhambra Ave., Martinez, CA 94553 USA.  All materials
> >>received will be treated as "creative commons" materials.  Thanks
> >
> >I noticed that barcharts has a "suggest a guide" section.  Might it be
> > worth contacting them to see if they would carry a postgresql based
> > guide. We could possibly offer them assistence in design in return for a
> > bulk donation of guides.  Thoughts?
>
> we would lose control of all aspects of the process.  1) they require
> assignment of copyright, so everyone is locked in;
> it is their product, including any updates.  Totally different model
> than cafepress.

Are we talking across each other? barcharts does the quick study guides...
cafepress does the t-shirts.   It's true that if barcharts does it, it's
thier product... but that means it gets done professionally and that it gets
"shelf space" for anyone who goes to thier site looking for a study guide.
Assuming we still get material for conferences, I'm not against commercial
solutions.  All IMHO, if others are against the idea, that's fine.

--
Robert Treat