announcing the postgres 10th anniversary

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Stupid question time.

How come, the 10th anniversary event isn't screaming at us when we come to the
postgresql.org home page?

cheers

Robert

Re: announcing the postgres 10th anniversary

From
Chris Browne
Date:
robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca (Robert Bernier) writes:
> Stupid question time.
>
> How come, the 10th anniversary event isn't screaming at us when we come to the
> postgresql.org home page?

I think it's because it's not clear the degree of support that will be
able to be provided.

The PostgreSQL Foundation was planning to be involved in sponsoring
it, in raising some funds to assist (possibly) with things like
travel, accomodations, and other logistical matters.

There have been some IRS "woes," as PGF's application for charitable
status was turned down.  The big decision looming around that was
whether to do such things as:
 - Closing shop in favor of joining an umbrella organization like
   SPI <http://www.spi-inc.org/>

 - Searching for a bunch of legal funds to try to stitch up the IRS
   situation

That looks like that will soon be arriving some resolution; it won't
make sense to start "screaming" away until the next steps come along.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html

Re: announcing the postgres 10th anniversary

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> How come, the 10th anniversary event isn't screaming at us when we come to the
> postgresql.org home page?

Because it's not booked yet, we don't have registration pages, and
haven't even decided 100% on a format.   You know this better than most,
you have the e-mails.  Please read them.

--Josh

Re: announcing the postgres 10th anniversary

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Josh,

I'm talking about drawing attention to the event. I don't think it's very important to make an announcement "after" we
makethe committment as much as it is to get the community behind it "while" it's getting off the ground.

This is about marketing. The point of making an announcement is to tell people that the 10th annivesary is coming and
toget some excitement generated.

How about putting on a 10th anniversary icon on the homesite with a link that tells a story?

So, everybody raise your hands if you think people will clear their calendar and go to Toronto if you don't tell them
first.

> Robert,
>
> > How come, the 10th anniversary event isn't screaming at us when we come
> > to the postgresql.org home page?
>
> Because it's not booked yet, we don't have registration pages, and
> haven't even decided 100% on a format.   You know this better than most,
> you have the e-mails.  Please read them.

Re: announcing the postgres 10th anniversary

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> This is about marketing. The point of making an announcement is to tell
> people that the 10th annivesary is coming and to get some excitement
> generated.
>
> How about putting on a 10th anniversary icon on the homesite with a link
> that tells a story?

Wait, are you talking about the 10th anniversary of the project, or the
conference?   You may have me confused.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: announcing the postgres 10th anniversary

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 10:53 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > This is about marketing. The point of making an announcement is to tell
> > people that the 10th annivesary is coming and to get some excitement
> > generated.
> >
> > How about putting on a 10th anniversary icon on the homesite with a link
> > that tells a story?
>
> Wait, are you talking about the 10th anniversary of the project, or the
> conference?   You may have me confused.

I read it as, marketing of the anniversery to drive excitement for the
conference.

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl, ODBCng - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
On Thursday 08 December 2005 13:52, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > How about putting on a 10th anniversary icon on the homesite with a
> > > link that tells a story?
> >
> > On Thursday 08 December 2005 13:53, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Wait, are you talking about the 10th anniversary of the project, or the
> > conference?   You may have me confused.
>
> I read it as, marketing of the anniversery to drive excitement for the
> conference.

Thanks Joshua, that's exactly what I mean.