when is the 'official' release date

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I'm updating the company website and I can't remember what the release date
is.

cheers

Robert

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I'm updating the company website and I can't remember what the release
> date is.

Um, we haven't released yet?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Sorry, wrong words ... when do you figure it will come out?

On Thursday 27 October 2005 16:31, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I'm updating the company website and I can't remember what the release
> > date is.
>
> Um, we haven't released yet?

cheers

robert

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> Sorry, wrong words ... when do you figure it will come out?

We aim for November 8.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
Just so everybody is aware...

Microsoft is going to release SQL Server 2005 on November 7
http://www.microsoft.com/events/2005launchevents/default.mspx. They will consume all of the database oxygen during that
week. If gaining press ink is a goal (from people like Lisa V of eweek), you'll have to go next week or wait until the
weekof November 14.  The weekly trade pubs just won't be able to give us anything opposite Microsoft.

> Sorry, wrong words ... when do you figure it will come out?

We aim for November 8.

--
Peter Eisentraut

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
How close are we? I don't suppose there's any chance of something like
Nov. 2nd?

Though, maybe it'd be better to wait until after MSSQL, rather than cram
ourselves between MySQL and MSSQL...

Date:
Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> Microsoft is going to release SQL Server 2005 on November 7

Well, the SQL server launch tour starts on November 7 in San Francisco,
and the PostgreSQL launch tour is set to start on November 8 in
Frankfurt.  Seeing that the SQL server launch tour arrives in Germany
on November 14, it clearly takes 7 days to cover that distance, so
PostgreSQL 8.1 won't arrive at your door before November 15 anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Thu, 2005-27-10 at 17:58 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> How close are we? I don't suppose there's any chance of something like
> Nov. 2nd?

Given the scope of some recent changes, I think Nov. 8 is if anything
too early -- let alone any earlier:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00364.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00393.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00382.php

-Neil

Date:
On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 01:16:59AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> > Microsoft is going to release SQL Server 2005 on November 7
>
> Well, the SQL server launch tour starts on November 7 in San Francisco,
> and the PostgreSQL launch tour is set to start on November 8 in
> Frankfurt.  Seeing that the SQL server launch tour arrives in Germany
> on November 14, it clearly takes 7 days to cover that distance, so
> PostgreSQL 8.1 won't arrive at your door before November 15 anyway.

Wait, surely PostgreSQL is faster than MSSQL!

I wonder what timezone we'd catch up with them in...

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> Given the scope of some recent changes, I think Nov. 8 is if anything
> too early -- let alone any earlier:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00364.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00393.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00382.php
>
> -Neil

Yeah, and 8.0 went through several 'release candidate' steps before it
went out the door.  While 8.0 was larger in scope in many respects, 11
days or so is the duration of the RC if pg the beta gets upgraded today
:(.  Or is pg going straight from beta to release?

Merlin

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 01:16 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> > Microsoft is going to release SQL Server 2005 on November 7
>

> ... the PostgreSQL launch tour is set to start on November 8 in
> Frankfurt.

Oh?

I think that a date should be released publicly when it is agreed by
Core.

You're clearly already well into the planning of this, which is somewhat
disconcerting for the rest of us.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Chris Browne
Date:
merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com ("Merlin Moncure") writes:
>> Given the scope of some recent changes, I think Nov. 8 is if anything
>> too early -- let alone any earlier:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00364.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00393.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2005-10/msg00382.php
>>
>> -Neil
>
> Yeah, and 8.0 went through several 'release candidate' steps before it
> went out the door.  While 8.0 was larger in scope in many respects, 11
> days or so is the duration of the RC if pg the beta gets upgraded today
> :(.  Or is pg going straight from beta to release?

We have been noticing some AIX 5.3 issues in testing 8.1 that seem to
at least warrant *minor* changes.  Unless AIX 5.3 is to be considered
"not supported," which would definitely leave some people unhappy, it
seems to me that there would need to be at least one more RC...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> Oh?
>
> I think that a date should be released publicly when it is agreed by
> Core.
>
> You're clearly already well into the planning of this, which is somewhat
> disconcerting for the rest of us.

Sorry, it's been discussed on a couple other lists.  And, as Chris
points out, could still likely slip.

--Josh

Re: when is the 'official' release date

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Lance,

> Microsoft is going to release SQL Server 2005 on November 7
http://www.microsoft.com/events/2005launchevents/default.mspx. They will consume all of the database oxygen during that
week. If gaining press ink is a goal (from people like Lisa V of eweek), you'll have to go next week or wait until the
weekof November 14.  The weekly trade pubs just won't be able to give us anything opposite Microsoft.

I wouldn't see this as prohibitive.  In fact, we might be able to right
MS's coattails into the mainstream press: "In the same month, MySQL
released version 5.0 and the PostgreSQL project released version 8.1 ...."

I think our code readiness is much more likely to dictate the release date.

--Josh