Coverity Inspected, 20 bugs detected!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Sorry to dual-list this, but there's dual aspects to it.

EnterpriseDB, Neil Conway and (earlier) Sean Chittenden worked with
Coverity to do static code analysis of PostgreSQL.   We came up very clean
(20 bugs in our 3/4 million lines of code) but part of that was due to
previous work.   As such, we're now entitled to put a "Coverity Inspected"
web sticker up on our site somewhere.

So, two questions:

1) Do we want to put up a Coverity Inspected button?    On the plus side,
Oracle, MySQL and BerkeleyDB (as well as FreeBSD) have all gone through
the Coverity checker, so it says good things about our competitiveness to
other database products.   On the negative side, do we really care?

2) If we want to put up the button, *where*?   We don't really have a page
on the web site for "certifications and awards", but maybe we ought to?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: [pgsql-www] Coverity Inspected, 20 bugs detected!

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
IMHO ... most definitely to both ...

----

Re: [pgsql-www] Coverity Inspected, 20 bugs detected!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> IMHO ... most definitely to both ...

Yes to both.

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Sorry to dual-list this, but there's dual aspects to it.
>>
>> EnterpriseDB, Neil Conway and (earlier) Sean Chittenden worked with
>> Coverity to do static code analysis of PostgreSQL.   We came up very
>> clean
>> (20 bugs in our 3/4 million lines of code) but part of that was due to
>> previous work.   As such, we're now entitled to put a "Coverity
>> Inspected"
>> web sticker up on our site somewhere.
>>
>> So, two questions:
>>
>> 1) Do we want to put up a Coverity Inspected button?    On the plus side,
>> Oracle, MySQL and BerkeleyDB (as well as FreeBSD) have all gone through
>> the Coverity checker, so it says good things about our competitiveness to
>> other database products.   On the negative side, do we really care?
>>
>> 2) If we want to put up the button, *where*?   We don't really have a
>> page
>> on the web site for "certifications and awards", but maybe we ought to?
>>
>> --
>> --Josh
>>
>> Josh Berkus
>> Aglio Database Solutions
>> San Francisco

>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>       choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>       match
>>

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting
Home of PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Coverity Inspected, 20 bugs detected!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 15:24 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So, two questions:
>
> 1) Do we want to put up a Coverity Inspected button?    On the plus side,
> Oracle, MySQL and BerkeleyDB (as well as FreeBSD) have all gone through
> the Coverity checker, so it says good things about our competitiveness to
> other database products.   On the negative side, do we really care?
>
> 2) If we want to put up the button, *where*?   We don't really have a page
> on the web site for "certifications and awards", but maybe we ought to?

2) is yes, lets have a page for certifications and awards

If 2) then yes to 1) also

Best Regards, Simon Riggs