Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

No doubt several/many of you are planning on attending OSCON 2005.  The
PostgreSQL community will have a large, commercial booth in the exhibit
hall at OSCON this year, sponsored by SRA and CommandPrompt.  And we need
you to help staff it.

Based on last year, I expect that many of us will hang out at the booth
anyway and it will be the place to discuss database programming at the
conference.  Since the exhibit hall will be open to the public for the
first time this year, we also need to make sure that the booth is a busy
hive of activity at all times.

So I'm asking all PostgreSQL community people who are attending OSCON to
volunteer for one or more "shifts" during which you are committed to
helping staff the booth.   Available shifts are:

Wednesday 10am - 11:30am
Wednesday 11:30am - 1pm
Wednesday 1pm - 2:30pm
Wednesday 2:30pm - 4:30 pm
Wednesday 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Thursday 10am - 11:30am
Thursday 11:30am - 1pm
Thursday 1pm - 2:30pm
Thursday 2:30pm - 4:30 pm

It may help you to look at the OSCON master schedule to figure out when
your best time is:  http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/grid/

All volunteers who work the booth will get a free enamel PostgreSQL pin.
Anyone who covers 3 or more shifts will get a free t-shirt (I have 5
left).

Please contact me before Friday, July 29th so that I know you are coming
and will help.  I will prepare a schedule, e-mail it, and have it at the
booth when the show opens.

**Let me know your e-mail address, name, what shifts you are available for
(and how many you'll do), and your cell phone number for the show.**

--
--Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Project

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On July 21, 2005 06:12 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> No doubt several/many of you are planning on attending OSCON 2005.  The
> PostgreSQL community will have a large, commercial booth in the exhibit
> hall at OSCON this year, sponsored by SRA and CommandPrompt.  And we need
> you to help staff it.

Since I have a floor map of the convention centre does anybody know what
the booth's id number is supposed to be?

> Based on last year, I expect that many of us will hang out at the booth
> anyway and it will be the place to discuss database programming at the
> conference.

> Since the exhibit hall will be open to the public for the
> first time this year, we also need to make sure that the booth is a busy
> hive of activity at all times.

Any idea on numbers to expect?

> So I'm asking all PostgreSQL community people who are attending OSCON to
> volunteer for one or more "shifts" during which you are committed to
> helping staff the booth.   Available shifts are:

> Wednesday 10am - 11:30am
> Wednesday 11:30am - 1pm
> Wednesday 1pm - 2:30pm
> Wednesday 2:30pm - 4:30 pm
> Wednesday 6:00pm - 7:30pm
> Thursday 10am - 11:30am
> Thursday 11:30am - 1pm
> Thursday 1pm - 2:30pm
> Thursday 2:30pm - 4:30 pm

I'm not sure what my hours are going to be but I'll be spending more time
at the booth then I will anywhere else at the conference. I'll be in town
as of Tuesday night for the whole week.

The one event that I do know already that I want time out for is the book
author's signing on Wednesday evening; I'm going as a Dru Lavigne groupie
:-), http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bsdhks/chapter/index.html

> Look at the OSCON master schedule:
> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/grid/

This helps a lot.

> Please contact me before Friday, July 29th so that I know you are coming
> and will help.  I will prepare a schedule, e-mail it, and have it at the
> booth when the show opens.

What about the other things about the booth i.e. table, power cords,
lighting etc. I know it's being handled but not by whom. How far along is
it?

> **Let me know your e-mail address, name, what shifts you are available
> for (and how many you'll do), and your cell phone number for the show.**

What else do you need Josh?

cheers

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Any idea on numbers to expect?

Nope.   OSCON should have about 1800 regular attendees.    Since this is
the first year the exhibit hall is open, I don't know that anyone knows
what to expect.

> I'm not sure what my hours are going to be but I'll be spending more
> time at the booth then I will anywhere else at the conference. I'll be
> in town as of Tuesday night for the whole week.

OK.   I'll be unavailable most of Wednesday and on Thursday during lunch.
So it would be keen if you could run the booth.

> What about the other things about the booth i.e. table, power cords,
> lighting etc. I know it's being handled but not by whom. How far along
> is it?
> What else do you need Josh?

Why don't you follow up on these things?

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On July 21, 2005 08:23 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I'm not sure what my hours are going to be but I'll be spending more
> > time at the booth then I will anywhere else at the conference. I'll be
> > in town as of Tuesday night for the whole week.
>
> OK.   I'll be unavailable most of Wednesday and on Thursday during lunch.
> So it would be keen if you could run the booth.

Right then, I'll cover where needed.

> > What about the other things about the booth i.e. table, power cords,
> > lighting etc. I know it's being handled but not by whom. How far along
> > is it?

> Why don't you follow up on these things?

Sure.

Can anybody tell me what they know about the booth setup at this point?

Joshua, you've got a handle on this eh, can you tell me what still needs to be covered?

cheers

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>Please contact me before Friday, July 29th so that I know you are coming
>>and will help.  I will prepare a schedule, e-mail it, and have it at the
>>booth when the show opens.
>

> What about the other things about the booth i.e. table, power cords,
> lighting etc. I know it's being handled but not by whom. How far along is
> it?

Brian and I are handling the table, power etc... There will be no
Internet however.

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Joe,

> We should talk about renegotiating the book schedule too. I have not
> been able to get going on chapter 12 due to all the trips, and I'm
> guessing you haven't gotten far either. There is pretty much no way I'll
> be done by Monday, which was the last change I made. What do you think?

I've not written anything in 3 months.    Given that we don't have an
editor, currently, I'm not particularly worried about the schedule.
We'll get it done when we get it done.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Please ignore that last e-mail.  My e-mail client is malfunctioning again.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On July 21, 2005 06:12 pm, Josh Berkus wrote:
> No doubt several/many of you are planning on attending OSCON 2005.  The
> PostgreSQL community will have a large, commercial booth in the exhibit
> hall at OSCON this year, sponsored by SRA and CommandPrompt.  And we need
> you to help staff it.

Since I have a floor map of the convention centre does anybody know what the booth's id number is supposed to be?

> Based on last year, I expect that many of us will hang out at the booth
> anyway and it will be the place to discuss database programming at the
> conference.

> Since the exhibit hall will be open to the public for the
> first time this year, we also need to make sure that the booth is a busy
> hive of activity at all times.

Any idea on numbers to expect?

> So I'm asking all PostgreSQL community people who are attending OSCON to
> volunteer for one or more "shifts" during which you are committed to
> helping staff the booth.   Available shifts are:
>
> Wednesday 10am - 11:30am
> Wednesday 11:30am - 1pm
> Wednesday 1pm - 2:30pm
> Wednesday 2:30pm - 4:30 pm
> Wednesday 6:00pm - 7:30pm
> Thursday 10am - 11:30am
> Thursday 11:30am - 1pm
> Thursday 1pm - 2:30pm
> Thursday 2:30pm - 4:30 pm

I'm not sure what my hours are going to be but I'll be spending more time at the booth then I will anywhere else at the
conference.I'll be in town as of Tuesday night for the whole week.

The one event that I do know already that I want time out for is the book author's signing on Wednesday evening; I'm
goingas a Dru Lavigne groupie :-), http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bsdhks/chapter/index.html

> Look at the OSCON master schedule: http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/grid/

This helps a lot.

> Please contact me before Friday, July 29th so that I know you are coming
> and will help.  I will prepare a schedule, e-mail it, and have it at the
> booth when the show opens.

What about the other things about the booth i.e. table, power cords, lighting etc. I know it's being handled but not by
whom.How far along is it?

> **Let me know your e-mail address, name, what shifts you are available for
> (and how many you'll do), and your cell phone number for the show.**

What else do you need Josh?

--
Robert Bernier
PostgreSQL Business Intelligence Analyst
SRA AMERICA (Formerly of One WTC)
PostgreSQL Services:Consulting,Migration,Support and Training
One Penn Plaza, Suite 1910
New York, NY 10119

Tel:  212.244.8833 ext:22

www.sraapowergres.com  robertb@sraapowergres.com
www.sraamerica.com

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
According to the email i got from JD, the booth is 1213

Date:
On July 24, 2005 12:29 pm, Brian Kilpatrick wrote:
> According to the email i got from JD, the booth is 1213

There are five rows, we are in the 4th futhest row from the entrance

Re: Going to OSCON? We need your help!

From
"Prabin Gade"
Date:
Vaidy and me will be in OSCON from Pervasive-Postgres.
We both can spare some cycles in the booth too.

- Prabin