MySQL & Red Hat?

From
filip wuytack
Date:
Hi All,

I just spotted this press release:
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2005_13.html

I'm a bit confused about this as I tought, Red Hat was/is one of the
main sponsors behind PostgreSQL and is funding Tom's work on Pg...

~ Filip

Re: MySQL & Red Hat?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On April 22, 2005 11:37 am, filip wuytack wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just spotted this press release:
> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2005_13.html
>
> I'm a bit confused about this as I tought, Red Hat was/is one of the
> main sponsors behind PostgreSQL and is funding Tom's work on Pg...
>
> ~ Filip

Normal business practice. Never turn away an opportunity to make money.

cheers

Robert

Re: MySQL & Red Hat?

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Robert Bernier wrote:

> On April 22, 2005 11:37 am, filip wuytack wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just spotted this press release:
>> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2005_13.html
>>
>> I'm a bit confused about this as I tought, Red Hat was/is one of the
>> main sponsors behind PostgreSQL and is funding Tom's work on Pg...
>>
>> ~ Filip
>

> Normal business practice. Never turn away an opportunity to make money.

or don't put all eggs into one basket

> cheers
>
> Robert

         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: MySQL & Red Hat?

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
After a long battle with technology, filip@wuytack.net (filip wuytack), an earthling, wrote:
> I just spotted this press release:
> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2005_13.html
>
> I'm a bit confused about this as I tought, Red Hat was/is one of the
> main sponsors behind PostgreSQL and is funding Tom's work on Pg...

I believe that announcemtn would be characteristic of the case of
"money not stink."

There are a lot of people out there running MySQL-based applications
on Linux, and it is in RHAT's interests for as many of the resulting
distribution support licenses, feeding their bottom line, as possible.

This is very much like Oracle having "joint ventures" with SAP even
though they sell a directly competing product.  If Oracle can sell
more database licenses, that's money for them even if they didn't get
to sell an Oracle Applications license...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html