Postgresql suitable replacement (Win 1GB / 100GB + dotnet + replication)

From
"Sanjay Jain"
Date:
Hi,

We have a system so far on oracle + PB (so far 18 sites)
we want to port it to Postgres + dotnet
for mass deployment
1. it will be in use at 50+ sites
2. Each site will have 1GB database (as per oracle)
    some tables have upwards on 1M rows
3. Each site will have 10-20 users
4. Application will be on a Dotnet platform
5. There will be a 2 tier replication
      only for committed data transfer asynchronously
6. It will be a totally WinXP/2003 (server) /
                               Win98+ (Workstation) environment
7. Sites will not have skilled personnel and all admin
      will have to be done remotedly over slow dial up links
      or by sending updates on media
8. Its a commercial application

Is Postgres a wise choice ?

Regards
Sanjay Jain
www.minisoftindia.com

Re: Postgresql suitable replacement (Win 1GB /

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Sanjay Jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a system so far on oracle + PB (so far 18 sites)
> we want to port it to Postgres + dotnet
> for mass deployment

O.k.

> 1. it will be in use at 50+ sites

O.k.

> 2. Each site will have 1GB database (as per oracle)

Not a problem

>    some tables have upwards on 1M rows

Not a problem

> 3. Each site will have 10-20 users

O.k.

> 4. Application will be on a Dotnet platform

No problem:

http://www.go-mono.com/postgresql.html

> 5. There will be a 2 tier replication
>      only for committed data transfer asynchronously

Could we get more description on this?

> 6. It will be a totally WinXP/2003 (server) /
>                               Win98+ (Workstation) environment

No problem

> 7. Sites will not have skilled personnel and all admin
>      will have to be done remotedly over slow dial up links
>      or by sending updates on media

Well as long as you set it up correctly this shouldn't be a problem :)

> 8. Its a commercial application

No problem

> Is Postgres a wise choice ?

It seems like PostgreSQL can solve your requirements but I am curious
about #5 above.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.
http://www.commandprompt.com/
Your PostgreSQL Solution Provider

> Regards
> Sanjay Jain
> www.minisoftindia.com

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Command Prompt, Inc., Your PostgreSQL solutions company. 503-667-4564
Custom programming, 24x7 support, managed services, and hosting
Open Source Authors: plPHP, pgManage, Co-Authors: plPerlNG
Reliable replication, Mammoth Replicator - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Date:
""Joshua D. Drake"" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote in message
> > 5. There will be a 2 tier replication
> >      only for committed data transfer asynchronously
>
> Could we get more description on this?

We used Ora7.x workgroup edition that did not have replication
so we wrote the required routines

What we wanted:
Each site's data is independent and must only reflect at other sites
(i.e. a copy placed at each other sites) There can be a latency and
it will be a two-tier system (1 grand parent, several parents and each
parent
to have several children)
Each parent & its children will have common data
Grand parent will have all the data, some data from each parent
   to be redistributed to all other parent sub-systems

How we implemented (specific only to oracle with limitations as
                  stated before, to be totally redone in Postgres scenario)
- Triggers on each table maintain in a separate log-table - records
   of rows that are added / modified / deleted (alongwith old values)
-  A generic routine would loop thru the log creating an sql for
   insertion / updation / deletetion for the row
-  The sql is sent to the other site and fired duplicating the effect
-  A site is dedignated as the parent site, all remotes send the SQL to
    the parent site whch in turn returns to each remote site
    eventually all data is duplicated at all sites
- The system has a lot of safety checks & recoveries for failed transfers
   missing etc and has been in operation of 7 years in volumes above
- All this was 1 tier, 1 parent with several children no grandparent
   now we also require 2 tier, 1 grand-parent, several parent subsystems

 Regards
Sanjay Jain
www.minisoftindia.com

Re: Postgresql suitable replacement (Win 1GB / 100GB + dotnet + replication)

From
"Sanjay Jain"
Date:
Also forgot to ask earlier
Will Postgres easily handle the 100GB+ database

Regards
Sanjay

"Sanjay Jain" <sminni_news@minisoftindia.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a system so far on oracle + PB (so far 18 sites)
> we want to port it to Postgres + dotnet
> for mass deployment
> 1. it will be in use at 50+ sites
> 2. Each site will have 1GB database (as per oracle)
>     some tables have upwards on 1M rows
> 3. Each site will have 10-20 users
> 4. Application will be on a Dotnet platform
> 5. There will be a 2 tier replication
>       only for committed data transfer asynchronously
> 6. It will be a totally WinXP/2003 (server) /
>                                Win98+ (Workstation) environment
> 7. Sites will not have skilled personnel and all admin
>       will have to be done remotedly over slow dial up links
>       or by sending updates on media
> 8. Its a commercial application
>
> Is Postgres a wise choice ?
>
> Regards
> Sanjay Jain
> www.minisoftindia.com

Re: Postgresql suitable replacement (Win 1GB / 100GB

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Also forgot to ask earlier
> Will Postgres easily handle the 100GB+ database

I have a 10GB database on a 10M page views a month site, and it's fine
(with some application level result set caching).

Chris

Sanjay,

> Also forgot to ask earlier
> Will Postgres easily handle the 100GB+ database

Depends on what you mean by "easily".    I'd be very cautious about a 100GB+
database on Windows.   We simply don't have much performance experience on
that platform.

That said, I know dozens of PG DBAs who are running 200GB or more databases on
Linux, BSD and Solaris.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Postgresql suitable replacement (Win 1GB / 100GB +

From
"Jussi Mikkola"
Date:
Hi,

I would be more worried of whether windows is the right choise. Slow
connections to sites, Win2000 server environment etc. Are you sure windows is
stable and managerable enough for this?

Atleast the win2000 I use, gets a blue screen every now and then. (A laptop)
And then you have to worry about viruses etc. And often when you do that, you
need to restart the computer. Not to mention, if you are able to get a virus.

Sorry, I have no experience about PosgreSQL on windows.

Rgs,

Jussi

Josh Berkus (josh@agliodbs.com) wrote*:

> Sanjay,
>
> > Also forgot to ask earlier
> > Will Postgres easily handle the 100GB+ database
>
> Depends on what you mean by "easily".    I'd be very cautious about a 100GB+
> database on Windows.   We simply don't have much performance experience on
> that platform.
>
> That said, I know dozens of PG DBAs who are running 200GB or more databases on
> Linux, BSD and Solaris.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Postgresql suitable replacement (Win 1GB / 100GB + dotnet + replication)

From
sanjay.jain@minisoftindia.com (Sanjay Jain)
Date:
Thanks
Will do
We can host that Database on a Linux Platform

Regards
Sanjay