Josh Berkus
Folks:

=================
Register Now for the
2005 MySQL Users Conference
April 18-21 in Santa Clara, CA
http://mysqluc.com/
=================

I'd kinda like to go, except I don't want to add to their attendance
figures ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks:
>
> =================
> Register Now for the
> 2005 MySQL Users Conference
> April 18-21 in Santa Clara, CA
> http://mysqluc.com/
> =================
>
> I'd kinda like to go, except I don't want to add to their attendance
> figures ...

Too bad you couldn't set up a booth :)  We (PgSQL Inc) party crashed an
Oracle Openworld that way several years back .. got some odd looks, but
alot of questions ;)

----

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On January 25, 2005 10:13 pm, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > =================
> > Register Now for the
> > 2005 MySQL Users Conference
> > April 18-21 in Santa Clara, CA
> > http://mysqluc.com/
> > =================
> >
> > I'd kinda like to go, except I don't want to add to their attendance
> > figures ...
>
> Too bad you couldn't set up a booth :)  We (PgSQL Inc) party crashed an
> Oracle Openworld that way several years back .. got some odd looks, but
> alot of questions ;)

If I lived in your neck of the woods that's exactly what I would do ;-)

cheers

robert

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> =================
> Register Now for the
> 2005 MySQL Users Conference
> April 18-21 in Santa Clara, CA
> http://mysqluc.com/
> =================
>
> I'd kinda like to go, except I don't want to add to their attendance
> figures ...

You definitely should go.  It's good to get a reality check about one's
biases from time to time :)

Chris

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Darcy, Chris,

> I'd say go, gives a good chance to see what they are focusing their efforts
> on in tech, marketing, etc. Also lets us how they deal with defelcting
> questions that deal with needs beyond their capabilities.

Yeah.   Unfortunately, I've just realized that I don't know anyone who could
comp me at MySQL anymore.   And, as an OSS programmer, I make it a point
never to pay for conventions ;-)  Especially not $1200!

For the rest of you:  I am NOT wearing a PostgreSQL t-shirt to the MySQL
convention.   Or passing flyers.  That would be unbearably rude and I would
deserve to get thrown out.   Now, Oracle Openworld on the other hand ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:31:18AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Darcy, Chris,
>
> > I'd say go, gives a good chance to see what they are focusing
> > their efforts on in tech, marketing, etc. Also lets us how they
> > deal with defelcting questions that deal with needs beyond their
> > capabilities.
>
> Yeah.   Unfortunately, I've just realized that I don't know anyone
> who could comp me at MySQL anymore.   And, as an OSS programmer, I
> make it a point never to pay for conventions ;-)  Especially not
> $1200!
>
> For the rest of you:  I am NOT wearing a PostgreSQL t-shirt to the
> MySQL convention.   Or passing flyers.  That would be unbearably
> rude and I would deserve to get thrown out.   Now, Oracle Openworld
> on the other hand ...

Maybe I could set up a dbi-link booth.  After all, it's software that
works with MySQL :)

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On January 26, 2005 04:45 pm, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:31:18AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Darcy, Chris,
> >
> > > I'd say go, gives a good chance to see what they are focusing
> > > their efforts on in tech, marketing, etc. Also lets us how they
> > > deal with defelcting questions that deal with needs beyond their
> > > capabilities.
> >
> > Yeah.   Unfortunately, I've just realized that I don't know anyone
> > who could comp me at MySQL anymore.   And, as an OSS programmer, I
> > make it a point never to pay for conventions ;-)  Especially not
> > $1200!

What about HarrisonF ? Perhaps he can hook you up or at least point you in the
right direction.

> > For the rest of you:  I am NOT wearing a PostgreSQL t-shirt to the
> > MySQL convention.   Or passing flyers.  That would be unbearably
> > rude and I would deserve to get thrown out.   Now, Oracle Openworld
> > on the other hand ...
>
> Maybe I could set up a dbi-link booth.  After all, it's software that
> works with MySQL :)
>
> Cheers,

Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.
ph: 250.717.0200
fx:  250.763.1759
http://www.wavefire.com

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Darcy,

> What about HarrisonF ? Perhaps he can hook you up or at least point you in
> the right direction.

Haven't seen him online in a while.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 05:52:28PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Darcy,
>
> > What about HarrisonF ? Perhaps he can hook you up or at least
> > point you in the right direction.
>
> Haven't seen him online in a while.

I saw him in person a few weeks ago in San Francisco.  He and MySQL AB
most kindly foot the bill for supper :)

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: I dunno ... should I go?

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 1/25/2005 10:13 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Folks:
>>
>> =================
>> Register Now for the
>> 2005 MySQL Users Conference
>> April 18-21 in Santa Clara, CA
>> http://mysqluc.com/
>> =================
>>
>> I'd kinda like to go, except I don't want to add to their attendance
>> figures ...
>
> Too bad you couldn't set up a booth :)  We (PgSQL Inc) party crashed an
> Oracle Openworld that way several years back .. got some odd looks, but
> alot of questions ;)

Just back from the Solutions Linux in Paris. Of course did I stroll by
the MySQL booth, and promptly got dragged into some discussions. Long
story short, MySQL and PostgreSQL tried to present each other as
"complimentary" rather than "competitive".

If that is the spirit, why not trying to get a booth there?

Jan