Nice Fujitsu white papers

From
Ron Mayer
Date:
Sorry if these were posted before; but Fujitsu has a nice whitepaper on
their supported version of Postgresql here:

http://www.fastware.com.au/docs/FujitsuSupportedPostgreSQLWhitePaper.pdf

PS: Can anyone explain more about their "Extended Storage Mangaer"
plug-in module that "enhances the original PostgreSQL storage mechanism
component" that they describe in that white paper?  It's mentioned
here http://www.fastware.com.au/postgresql.html that it stems from
their own RDBMS (Symfoware), but I didn't see any details.

Re: Nice Fujitsu white papers

From
Neil Conway
(Disclosure: As I announced a few months ago, I'm currently on a 12
month contract working full-time for Fujitsu. However, I'm primarily
involved with community work, and therefore don't work on the ESM
component of FSP.)

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 23:51 -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:
> PS: Can anyone explain more about their "Extended Storage Mangaer"
> plug-in module that "enhances the original PostgreSQL storage mechanism
> component" that they describe in that white paper?  It's mentioned
> here http://www.fastware.com.au/postgresql.html that it stems from
> their own RDBMS (Symfoware), but I didn't see any details.

There's a fair amount of info on ESM in the white paper (see pages 12
through 18). To summarize:

- ESM is derived from technology from a Fujitsu DBMS product called
Symfoware.

- In FSP, much of the index/heap management, buffer management,
transaction management and lock management code has been replaced with
functionality provided by ESM. The goal here is to maintain
compatibility with applications designed for community PostgreSQL (by
retaining the same parser, planner and executor), while achieving better
scalability and performance.

- ESM is aimed at higher-end PostgreSQL installations: many-way SMP,
large amounts of data (and heavy I/O), high numbers of concurrent
clients, and so on. It also allows for VACUUM-less operation.

Let me know if you'd like any more info.

-Neil

Re: Nice Fujitsu white papers

From
Thomas Hallgren
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Sorry if these were posted before; but Fujitsu has a nice whitepaper on
> their supported version of Postgresql here:
>
> http://www.fastware.com.au/docs/FujitsuSupportedPostgreSQLWhitePaper.pdf

Interesting. They mention Java stored procedures as something that is
"due in Future Versions". Does anyone know who I should talk to to make
Fujitsu aware of my work with PLJava?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: Nice Fujitsu white papers

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Interesting. They mention Java stored procedures as something that is
> "due in Future Versions". Does anyone know who I should talk to to
> make Fujitsu aware of my work with PLJava?

AFAIK, Fujitsu has put their chips on the competing PL/J project.

--
Peter Eisentraut