Comparisons

From
Francois Suter
Date:
Hi again,

I forgot something in my previous post. At the end of the article, the
journalist mentions two comparisons:

http://support.summersault.com/why_postgresql.html
http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html

Are they any good?

Cheers.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"If it's not from me, it's from Confucius" - Lao Tse

Re: Comparisons

From
Mitch Pirtle
Date:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:02:58 +0100, Francois Suter <dba@paragraf.ch> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I forgot something in my previous post. At the end of the article, the
> journalist mentions two comparisons:
>
> http://support.summersault.com/why_postgresql.html
> http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html
>
> Are they any good?

The first one is a nice document from a PR and advocacy perspective
(but could use some updating); and the second is a year out-of-date
and (to me at least) appears biased - not good at all.

-- Mitch

Re: Comparisons

From
José de Paula
Date:
Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:02:58 +0100, Francois Suter <dba@paragraf.ch> wrote:
>
>>Hi again,
>>
>>I forgot something in my previous post. At the end of the article, the
>>journalist mentions two comparisons:
>>
>>http://support.summersault.com/why_postgresql.html
>>http://www-css.fnal.gov/dsg/external/freeware/mysql-vs-pgsql.html
>>
>>Are they any good?
>

> The first one is a nice document from a PR and advocacy perspective
> (but could use some updating); and the second is a year out-of-date
> and (to me at least) appears biased - not good at all.
>
> -- Mitch

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

I liked the table at summersault wrt features of the several databases;
does anyone know about a similar chart comparign PostgreSQL's and
Oracle's SQL language syntax? I'm thinking about migrating a system from
Oracle to PostgreSQL, and I would like to know how painless this could
be done.

Re: Comparisons

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jose,

> I liked the table at summersault wrt features of the several databases;
> does anyone know about a similar chart comparign PostgreSQL's and
> Oracle's SQL language syntax? I'm thinking about migrating a system from
> Oracle to PostgreSQL, and I would like to know how painless this could
> be done.

Check out O'Reilly's book "SQL In A Nutshell".   It does command-by-command
comparisons of SQL syntax with PG, Oracle, MSSQL and MySQL.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Comparisons

From
Chris Travers
Date:
BTW, does anyone know why the first of the articles lists MS SQL Server
as not being ACID compliant?  It might be good to know.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jose,
>

>>I liked the table at summersault wrt features of the several databases;
>>does anyone know about a similar chart comparign PostgreSQL's and
>>Oracle's SQL language syntax? I'm thinking about migrating a system from
>>Oracle to PostgreSQL, and I would like to know how painless this could
>>be done.
>

> Check out O'Reilly's book "SQL In A Nutshell".   It does command-by-command
> comparisons of SQL syntax with PG, Oracle, MSSQL and MySQL.
>
> --Josh

Thanks, I'll look for it.