Re: [webmaster] clarification about donations to the PostgreSQL project

Date:
Chris Hardie wrote:

> Hi.  We're interested in making a financial contribution to support the
> PostgreSQL project.  The content on the "donate" link from the front page
> of PostgreSQL.org (http://developer.postgresql.org/~scrappy/donate.html)
> seems to imply that donations sent there will be used exclusively to
> support bandwidth costs for the PostgreSQL website.  If that is truly the
> greatest financial need for the project then we can certainly be
> comfortable with contributing to it.  But you might consider providing
> additional donation opportunities for folks who want to support
> development work, evangelism, conferences, etc. in addition to those
> infrastructure costs.  I understand that the Foundation is being formed
> and that this may become clearer when that paperwork gets in order.
>
> For now, what's the best method to donate to support the PostgreSQL
> project?

If you would like to fund more of the marketing efforts, the advocacy
list is the best location to do that.  Josh is usually around, though he
is during the holidays.  We are actually creating a non-profit to
receive such funds.

Re: [webmaster] clarification about donations

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Chris,

> > For now, what's the best method to donate to support the PostgreSQL
> > project?

Well, depends on whether or not you need the 501(c)3 stamp.  Ours is
still pending but we expect to get it straightened out with the IRS in
the next couple of months.

You can send donations to the PostgreSQL Foundation now.   Donations to
the general fund, at this time, will be used primarily for advocacy
efforts (banners, CDs, propaganda and shipping) and web hosting.  See:
http://www.pgfound.org/donate/

Once we have our 501(c)3, we will engage in a specific fundraising
campaign with specific goals (new servers, targeted advertising, even
feature development).  For now, we're trying to limit our fundraising
just in case our pending status is protracted.

--Josh Berkus
  President, PostgreSQL Foundation