Re: web code update

From
Alexey Borzov
Date:
Hi,

Robert Treat wrote:
> Hey Alexy,

That's "Alexey", note the extra "e".

> can we get an update of where things are on the new web code, including
> if all of your current work is checked in? perhaps we could scramble up
> some todo items that folks could do via cvs to help you out?

All the stuff which is on http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/ is checked in.

I am considering doing some cosmetic changes to the design (like a bigger logo
and bigger font), but that'll be only on the next week.

As I already said several times, I need someone with a "fresh eye" to go over
the current site and write down the differences with the beta one.

What's left is essentially the texts for the website. I suggest doing two big
pages for "Support" and "Download". The "Support" page will list all support
options, including commercial ones and only then point to mailing lists. The
"Download" page will describe the stuff that is on the FTP mirrors and mention
major add-ons to PostgreSQL that are not. Only then will it point to FTP mirror
selection.

I also need the *official* slogan and the *official* welcome text.

Of course, one may consider writing a more verbose "About" page as well:
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/about/

The changes to the texts may be directly commited to the pgweb module, if there
are questions on templates, I'll gladly answer them.

I'm Cc:'ing this to advocacy, since there may be interested people there...

Re: web code update

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:08:45AM +0400, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> What's left is essentially the texts for the website. I suggest doing two
> big pages for "Support" and "Download". The "Support" page will list all
> support options, including commercial ones and only then point to mailing
> lists.

Oh, please don't.  As an open source project we need the mailing list
link as visible as possible, just like any other open source project.

Other than that, IMHO your design looks pretty good ...

"Uno combate cuando es necesario... ¡no cuando está de humor!
El humor es para el ganado, o para hacer el amor, o para tocar el
baliset.  No para combatir."  (Gurney Halleck)

Re: [pgsql-www] web code update

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 18:29, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 02:08:45AM +0400, Alexey Borzov wrote:
>
> > What's left is essentially the texts for the website. I suggest doing two
> > big pages for "Support" and "Download". The "Support" page will list all
> > support options, including commercial ones and only then point to mailing
> > lists.
>
> Oh, please don't.  As an open source project we need the mailing list
> link as visible as possible, just like any other open source project.

I think we should promote our mailing lists over the commercial
companies, but I also think we need to integrate the commercial company
list into the main site instead of keeping it "hidden" on techdocs. I'll
see if I can work something up.

Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-www] web code update

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>Oh, please don't.  As an open source project we need the mailing list
>>link as visible as possible, just like any other open source project.
>>

> I think we should promote our mailing lists over the commercial
> companies, but I also think we need to integrate the commercial company
> list into the main site instead of keeping it "hidden" on techdocs. I'll
> see if I can work something up.

IMHO on the page it should say something like:

Community Support:
    Mailing Lists
       pgsql-general
       pgsql-hackers
       etc...
    Docs

Commercial Support:
       Command Prompt, Inc.
       Agliodbs
       PgSQL, Inc.

etc....

I do believe mailing lists should be first as that is the first line of
defense. If a person calls Command Prompt, they pay money (which is
good) but it is better if they checked the lists first.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-www] web code update

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> Oh, please don't.  As an open source project we need the mailing list
>>> link as visible as possible, just like any other open source project.
>>>

>> I think we should promote our mailing lists over the commercial
>> companies, but I also think we need to integrate the commercial company
>> list into the main site instead of keeping it "hidden" on techdocs. I'll
>> see if I can work something up.
>
> IMHO on the page it should say something like:
>
> Community Support:
>   Mailing Lists
>      pgsql-general
>      pgsql-hackers
>      etc...
>   Docs
>
> Commercial Support:
>      Command Prompt, Inc.
>      Agliodbs
>      PgSQL, Inc.
>
> etc....
>
> I do believe mailing lists should be first as that is the first line of
> defense. If a person calls Command Prompt, they pay money (which is good) but
> it is better if they checked the lists first.

Agreed ... this is supposed to be a "Project Web Site" not a "Commercial
One" ... listing the Commercial is important, but priority should be to
our lists ...

----

Re: [pgsql-www] web code update

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > Commercial Support:
> >      Command Prompt, Inc.
> >      Agliodbs
> >      PgSQL, Inc.

Can I plead to database the commercial listings somehow?    They will get
updated/modified frequently.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: [pgsql-www] web code update

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:
On September 30, 2004 10:08 am, you wrote:
> Folks,
>
> > > Commercial Support:
> > >      Command Prompt, Inc.
> > >      Agliodbs
> > >      PgSQL, Inc.
>
> Can I plead to database the commercial listings somehow?    They will get
> updated/modified frequently.

If this is happening, can we also maybe make the order somehow somewhat
random? That way there is no preference given to a specific entity.

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

Re: [pgsql-www] web code update

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> On September 30, 2004 10:08 am, you wrote:
>> Folks,

>> Can I plead to database the commercial listings somehow?    They will get
>> updated/modified frequently.
>
> If this is happening, can we also maybe make the order somehow somewhat
> random? That way there is no preference given to a specific entity.

AT the least, it shoudl be alphabetical ...

----