From
Yo Funky
Date:
If someone can, please repond to this post on LWN, from here:
http://lwn.net/Articles/101458/

is this mini thread, which, if it is even possible, could use someone
who knows how to respond suitably:

Sybase releases 'first free production database for Linux' (ZDNet UK)
(Posted Sep 9, 2004 20:15 UTC (Thu) by emesvtsedek) (Post reply)

The assertion that this is the first free production database for Linux
is simply untrue. SAP DB, now Max DB is in fact the first database used
in actual production in core business systems that is also freely
available. It is also in open source under the GPL.

  Sybase releases 'first free production database for Linux' (ZDNet UK)
(Posted Sep 9, 2004 21:24 UTC (Thu) by zenaan) (Post reply)

If you believe that PostgreSQL, even MySQL, is/are not used in "core
production systems", you are either mistaken/ uninformed, or simply
lying. I suggest you do some research and stop spreading this FUD. It
gets tiring to hear it.

 Sybase releases 'first free production database for Linux' (ZDNet UK)
(Posted Sep 13, 2004 13:23 UTC (Mon) by emesvtsedek) (Post reply)

Please allow me to clarify my definition, and ask you to
reconfirm your comment:

By core 'business', not core 'production' systems I am
referring to systems in a business which relate to
financial or other crucial operational aspects of
the business. This traditionally has excluded web
backends and other content management concerns.
Can you identify a comparable ERP or accounting
system which depends on Postgresql or MySQL
in a manner similar to the relationship between
SAP and SAP DB? I would be very grateful to know
of such examples.

--
Homepage: http://www.soulsound.net/
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.

Re:

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Yo,

> If someone can, please repond to this post on LWN, from here:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/101458/

If you want to reply, please do.   I regret that I let my LWN membership
lapse.

I personally do not respond to these sorts of bombastic pronouncements.   That
post looks to me like a troll rather than anyone you really wants feedback.

FYI, there is a company which produces a commercially successful ERP product
on Postgres: OpenMFG.  Apparently a competitor using similar technology is
starting up in the Netherlands, and I hear constantly from the manufacturing
sector -- some of whom have databases in the hundreds of millions of records,
so they're obviously not just "testing".

For myself, I have clients running PG in production for data warehousing,
legal calendaring, human resources and placement.   In fact, I've been able
to support myself comfortably for the last 3 years doing PG work completely
unrelated to content management systems.

The reason Sybase has offered this free database, I am convinced, is the
Software Developer's Forum survey showing that PostgreSQL was pusing Sybase
off the market, numerically speaking (that is, Sybase was 4th and PG was 5th
for old projects, and the positions were reversed for new projects).

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re:

From
Zenaan Harkness
Date:
Thanks to those who responded. Here's my (clearly slightly biting)
response:

---
So it appears you are simply uninformed.

Given that, it is frustrating that you don't bother to do the research
yourself. Just throw some bombastic comments out there and let the "Free
Software Supporters" research and refute you if they can, right. That is
worthy of little more than slashdot. You might find a warmer reception
over there...

Short of having time to do more (of your) research, I suggest you go
read up on the following:
- OpenMFG (commercial ERP, support, a competitor company in the works)
- Production PostgreSQL deployments in the TB (Terabytes/Tibibytes),
hundreds of millions of records
-- data warehousing
-- legal calendaring
-- human resources
-- placement
-- much more
- SQL-Ledger
- GnuCash
- Freemoney
- Xiwa
- GNU Enterprise

Granted these are not as widely known as SAP (yet), they are clearly
evidence that people were looking at ERP/Accounting on OSS long before
the recent "converts" came to the scene, and in some cases there are
production deployments of these systems. This (obviously, as it
shouldn't be necessary to point out the empirically observed behaviour
of free software) will accelerate over time.

Feature-wise, PostgreSQL is now starting to push Sybase off the market
(point in time recovery, on line backups, clustering) - as in, be a
viable "full replacement". It apparently used to be 5th, just after
Sybase, but has recently started displacing Sybase more consistently,
for new deployments. There is no surprise at all that Sybase is acting
as they are. You don't gut part of your market unless you've already
lost it.

You might be a fan-boy, but don't appear to be a great friend, of Free
Software. If you want to be held in esteem as part of the community,
you'll need to raise your bar.

Re: : PostgreSQL + ERP

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Zeenan,

> Given that, it is frustrating that you don't bother to do the research
> yourself. Just throw some bombastic comments out there and let the "Free
> Software Supporters" research and refute you if they can, right. That is
> worthy of little more than slashdot. You might find a warmer reception
> over there...

Hey, take it easy!    There's no call for this kind of hostility on a mailing
list.  Further, I did not read Yo's post in to be anything similar to your
interpretation; I think you're just slamming the bearer of bad news.

We win people over by educating them, NOT by attacking them.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: : PostgreSQL + ERP

From
Zenaan Harkness
Date:
On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 03:31, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Zeenan,
>
> > Given that, it is frustrating that you don't bother to do the research
> > yourself. Just throw some bombastic comments out there and let the "Free
> > Software Supporters" research and refute you if they can, right. That is
> > worthy of little more than slashdot. You might find a warmer reception
> > over there...
>
> Hey, take it easy!    There's no call for this kind of hostility on a mailing
> list.  Further, I did not read Yo's post in to be anything similar to your
> interpretation; I think you're just slamming the bearer of bad news.
>
> We win people over by educating them, NOT by attacking them.

I actually already apologised in a follow up post, for being so biting,
upon re-reading my post.