IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM.  (I didn't ask for it, all
I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send me
the whole thing.)  In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
Open Source Databases Sales Guide".

The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one paragraph
about PostgreSQL.  They noted that SourceForge started off using
PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day" under
the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF.  They of
course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.

Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?  I've
run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if the
disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to this.

Thanks,
--Josh

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM.  (I didn't ask for it,
all
> I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send
me
> the whole thing.)  In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
> Open Source Databases Sales Guide".
>
> The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one
paragraph
> about PostgreSQL.  They noted that SourceForge started off using
> PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day"
under
> the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF.  They
of
> course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.
>
> Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?
I've
> run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if
the
> disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to
this.

Off the top of my head they are quoting the article from Tim Perdue
comparing mysql and postgres (google: mysql postgresql comparioson).
The version was some 7.0.x version.  They neglected to summarize his
follow-up which was a big win for pg.  However, it's from a non biased
source, and is well documented. I agree that a rebuttal should be ready
at will.

Merlin

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?  I've
> run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if the
> disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to this.

They were running 7.1 at the time. I doubt this would be a problem now.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks,
> --Josh

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?  I've
>> run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if the
>> disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to this.
>>

> They were running 7.1 at the time. I doubt this would be a problem now.

If it was a problem then, they didn't let anyone know about it ... to the
best of my knowledge, the move to IBM/DB2 was an infusion of cash (ie.
bribe) from IBM, it wasn't anything technical ... but, again, I'd never
heard of any technical problems with the servers *shrug*

----

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 17:07, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> > Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM.  (I didn't ask for it,
> all
> > I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send
> me
> > the whole thing.)  In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
> > Open Source Databases Sales Guide".
> >
> > The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one
> paragraph
> > about PostgreSQL.  They noted that SourceForge started off using
> > PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day"
> under
> > the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF.  They
> of
> > course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.
> >
> > Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?
> I've
> > run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if
> the
> > disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to
> this.
>
> Off the top of my head they are quoting the article from Tim Perdue
> comparing mysql and postgres (google: mysql postgresql comparioson).
> The version was some 7.0.x version.  They neglected to summarize his
> follow-up which was a big win for pg.  However, it's from a non biased
> source, and is well documented. I agree that a rebuttal should be ready
> at will.

A better rebuttal would be the shareholders information given out at the
time to VA stock holders that showed the agreement where IBM would
invest in VA and VA would switch to DB2. Course that's probably private
corporate information that can't be shared.

Robert Treat

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Josh Berkus
People:

> > Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?
> I've
> > run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if
> the
> > disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to
> this.

I'm also pretty sure that they laid off their PostgreSQL support staff
*before* the switchover to DB2; as you can imagine, they ran into some
problems in the interval.

Merlin, if you can actually provide a link, I'm sure that Tim P. would be
happy to give us a statement refuting IBM's interpretation.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> A better rebuttal would be the shareholders information given out at the
> time to VA stock holders that showed the agreement where IBM would
> invest in VA and VA would switch to DB2. Course that's probably private
> corporate information that can't be shared.

Oh, you won't get that.   But you can very well get a coincidence of timing
from the IBM investment and the date of the switchover.   Just google the
news.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 15:30, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM.  (I didn't ask for it, all
> I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send me
> the whole thing.)  In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
> Open Source Databases Sales Guide".
>
> The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one paragraph
> about PostgreSQL.  They noted that SourceForge started off using
> PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day" under
> the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF.  They of
> course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.

This is horse puckies.  Source Forge ran wonderfully on PostgreSQL, and
I can remember when they switched to DB2, it took them over 6 months
just to get keyword searching to work properly.  And it was always VERY
slow compared to how fast it had been on PostgreSQL.  Find and ask the
guy who built it originally, Tim Perdue.  I'm pretty sure he'll back me
up, unless he's under some kind of NDA to not say.

> Can anyone provide details on this?  Were the servers misconfigured?  I've
> run into situations where the postgres server will stop responding if the
> disk fills to capacity.  We should prepare something to respond to this.

(I never experienced any downtime on sourceforge when it was running on
PostgreSQL, and haven't ever heard crashing as the reason it was
converted to DB2, only that IBM was partnering with them and offered it
for "free" (i.e. they paid them to use it.)

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 22:30, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Last week, I got some DB2 literature from IBM.  (I didn't ask for it, all
> I wanted was a CD with the software, but I guess they saw fit to send me
> the whole thing.)  In this literature was a guide titled, "Why DB2 vs.
> Open Source Databases Sales Guide".
>
> The guide mostly concentrated on MySQL, but they did have one paragraph
> about PostgreSQL.  They noted that SourceForge started off using
> PostgreSQL, but when the site grew it "crashed 4 to 5 times per day" under
> the increased workload as more people put their projects on SF.  They of
> course then went on to praise how DB2 handles heavy workloads.

This little gem from last year explains how DB2 handles heavy workloads:
http://www.danskebank.com/link/ITreport20030403uk/$file/ITreport20030403uk.pdf
though doesn't mention DB2's pessimistic locking strategies which can
lead to poor database concurrency in real-world applications. (I'm
working on a project with exactly this issue now...) I think that a
balanced, informed view should be taken of strengths and weaknesses when
considering any products.

Let's not get too caught up in the FUD thing. FUD stands for Fear,
Uncertainty and Doubt...and thats all it is.

I note for example, that MySQL still have a benchmark page up that says
something like "but we couldn't run PostgreSQL because VACUUM had a
bug". Those things may be true, maybe not, but they are clearly both on
significantly older releases and so both can and should be ignored. They
can't be unsaid and arguing about it just makes you dance to their tune.

Most importantly, PostgreSQL users should be confident that if IBM is
saying bad things about PostgreSQL, its clearly on their radar - always
the best compliment. That means we're not far off having some IBM
staffers contributing regularly to the project...

The new release will clear away any of those earlier comments.

Best regards, Simon Riggs

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 03:47, Simon Riggs wrote:

> I note for example, that MySQL still have a benchmark page up that says
> something like "but we couldn't run PostgreSQL because VACUUM had a
> bug". Those things may be true, maybe not, but they are clearly both on
> significantly older releases and so both can and should be ignored. They
> can't be unsaid and arguing about it just makes you dance to their tune.

FYI, I think they dropped this page a while back (I can't find it in
their docs online).

But, they still list our maximum query size as 16 Megs, as that's the
size of the buffer they declare to test with, and when it errors out at
16 Meg, they say that's our query limit.

Of course, for quite some time now PostgreSQL has had no query size
limit, only the one imposed by the hardware you're able to buy or with
an unlimited budget, the largest machine made.

They've been informed of this error, by me, on at least one occasion.
They have not changed it. [1]

> Most importantly, PostgreSQL users should be confident that if IBM is
> saying bad things about PostgreSQL, its clearly on their radar - always
> the best compliment. That means we're not far off having some IBM
> staffers contributing regularly to the project...

Good point.

[1]  More things they get wrong, that I've told them about in the past,
that they haven't changed:

The max buffer of 16 Meg affects a few other fields that they test
(constant string size in SELECT and constant string size in where) which
again has a limit of probably 1 gig right now.)
Max table row length: 103279 (Actually 2 gig per field, several hundred
fields at least, but they use the max length of char() for this?  Not
text?  And only one field to test it?)
It lists updates as non-atomic, although with select for update,
PostgreSQL updates are fully atomic.
It lists type for row id as oid, when serial would be more correct.
They test for max and or with this query:
select a from crash_me where a=1 and b='a'  or a=0 and b='0' or a=1 and
b='1' or a=2 and b='2' or a=3 and b='3' or a=4 and b='4'
Notice any problem with the uselessness of the logic, at least test with
something useful.
They list the maximum number of arguments at 9999 with no footnote that
this value is user settable via expression depth, the HINT tells you so.
Maximum text listed as >8 meg, when in fact it's 128k times 8 meg as the
max, typically (i.e. 1 gig)

Of course most of this isn't malice, it's just not being familiar enough
with PostgreSQL to know these things.  I've pointed out these errors in
the past, and gotten nary a peep for a response.  Maybe I should try
again.

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> I'm also pretty sure that they laid off their PostgreSQL support staff
> *before* the switchover to DB2; as you can imagine, they ran into some
> problems in the interval.
>
> Merlin, if you can actually provide a link, I'm sure that Tim P. would
be
> happy to give us a statement refuting IBM's interpretation.

My memory failed me.  Here is the page I was thinking about (from his
famous 2 part article comparing mysql and pg):
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?page=4

He never claimed that postgres was unstable, only that recovery was
nasty when it did go down (which was true in the 6.5 - 7.0 days).  In
fact, he goes on to say that postgres was quite reliable. It could be
extracted from his writings that there were crashes, however.  This
could be exploited in the usual nasty FUD way.

It would be nice to see some uptime statistics from him IMO.  Not really
useful in a modern sense because it predates WAL, but it least to
contrast what IBM is talking about...

Merlin

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
Tom Copeland
Date:
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:36, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> It would be nice to see some uptime statistics from him IMO.  Not really
> useful in a modern sense because it predates WAL, but it least to
> contrast what IBM is talking about...

Since Tim went on to build GForge on top of PostgreSQL, I daresay he's a
big fan.  PostgreSQL is now powering all these sites:

http://gforge.org/docman/view.php/1/52/gforge-sites.html

Good times!

Tom Copeland
tom@infoether.com

Re: IBM/DB2 PostgreSQL FUD?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 06:36, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> > I'm also pretty sure that they laid off their PostgreSQL support staff
> > *before* the switchover to DB2; as you can imagine, they ran into some
> > problems in the interval.
> >
> > Merlin, if you can actually provide a link, I'm sure that Tim P. would
> be
> > happy to give us a statement refuting IBM's interpretation.
>
> My memory failed me.  Here is the page I was thinking about (from his
> famous 2 part article comparing mysql and pg):
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3?page=4
>
> He never claimed that postgres was unstable, only that recovery was
> nasty when it did go down (which was true in the 6.5 - 7.0 days).  In
> fact, he goes on to say that postgres was quite reliable. It could be
> extracted from his writings that there were crashes, however.  This
> could be exploited in the usual nasty FUD way.
>
> It would be nice to see some uptime statistics from him IMO.  Not really
> useful in a modern sense because it predates WAL, but it least to
> contrast what IBM is talking about...

Tim wrote a followup article to that one, where he was testing the 7.1
series, it is interesting to see how much improvement he got from
upgrading:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3?aid=151