LinuxTag account

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
LinuxTag ended on Saturday.  The PostgreSQL booth was staffed by Jeroen
Vermeulen, Bruce Momjian, Andreas Pflug, Cornelia Boenigk, and myself.
The attendance (16175 this year) was down a bit because they moved the
show from Thu-Sun to Wed-Sat, but that way we had more "enterprise"
visitors and less souvenir hunters.  Among the former group most people
knew about PostgreSQL and used it or were just about to switch to it
from Informix.  Among the latter group we had about half asking the
usual "so how does this compare to MySQL".  The asked-for features were
mostly related to high availability, but that problem is solved, so
we're in good shape.  The real killer question, however, was how to
replace MS Access.  No, OpenOffice is not the answer yet.

I held a presentation in the conference program about the upcoming
features in 7.5, which was well-received.  To distinguish the talk from
the immediately preceding talk from the "Ministry of Announcements"
(quote Andreas) I was able to point out that the features I talked
about actually already exist in CVS.  I stayed to hear Brian Aker talk
about MySQL Replication and Clustering and had a good laugh.  Wisely,
they didn't put his slides on the conference DVD, otherwise anyone
would have figured out after a short while that these people are
completely insane.  If anyone finds those slides, we should put them
into the Amusements section on our web site.

I will put up some pictures later in the week.

The next PostgreSQL event in Europe that I know of is LinuxWorld
Conference and Expo in Frankfurt, October 26 to 28.

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> LinuxTag ended on Saturday.

Sounds like fun!   Thank you for the report.

> The next PostgreSQL event in Europe that I know of is LinuxWorld
> Conference and Expo in Frankfurt, October 26 to 28.

Will you be going?   If so, do you need swag?   I'm trying to get "swag
supply" worked out ...

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Will you be going?   If so, do you need swag?   I'm trying to get
> "swag supply" worked out ...

What do you people actually mean by "swag"?  AFAICT, it is a synonym for
contraband, and I don't think I want that. :-/

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> What do you people actually mean by "swag"?  AFAICT, it is a synonym for
> contraband, and I don't think I want that. :-/

No, stuff to hand out and/or display at conventions.    T-shirts, CDs,
banners, etc.

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
    Enterprise vertical business        josh@agliodbs.com
     and data analysis solutions        (415) 752-2387
      and database optimization           fax 651-9224
  utilizing Open Source technology      San Francisco

Re: LinuxTag account

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Slang for T-Shirts, CD's, etc.

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Will you be going?   If so, do you need swag?   I'm trying to get
>>"swag supply" worked out ...
>>

>What do you people actually mean by "swag"?  AFAICT, it is a synonym for
>contraband, and I don't think I want that. :-/

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The real killer question, however, was how to
> replace MS Access.  No, OpenOffice is not the answer yet.

Do you mean in the sense of a desktop forms+reports builder? I've always
just admitted that Access is good for that (and it pretty much is). So
long as your reports don't need to be too dynamic.

PS - ta for the write-up Peter.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: LinuxTag account

From
"Cornelia Boenigk"

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter, Richard,

> > The real killer question, however, was how to
> > replace MS Access.  No, OpenOffice is not the answer yet.
>
> Do you mean in the sense of a desktop forms+reports builder? I've always
> just admitted that Access is good for that (and it pretty much is). So
> long as your reports don't need to be too dynamic.

OpenOffice.org *is* working on this, though.   By the time we reach
OpenOffice.org 2.0, we should have an MS Access killer.   When that'll be,
though ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: LinuxTag account

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>Do you mean in the sense of a desktop forms+reports builder? I've always
>>just admitted that Access is good for that (and it pretty much is). So
>>long as your reports don't need to be too dynamic.
>

> OpenOffice.org *is* working on this, though.   By the time we reach
> OpenOffice.org 2.0, we should have an MS Access killer.   When that'll be,
> though ...

If you are trying desparately to get away from MS then you could use
Paradox (which is actually quite cool). Also ReKall is cross platform
and scriptable with Python.

Re: LinuxTag account

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Huh?   I thought that Rekall required KDE and the full QT environment to run.

Nope. ReKall is written in Py/QT -- is GPL and runs on Windows and Linux
and presumably Mac OSX. It does support PostgreSQL although the driver
is a little weak and needs some work.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> If you are trying desparately to get away from MS then you could use
> Paradox (which is actually quite cool). Also ReKall is cross platform
> and scriptable with Python.

Huh?   I thought that Rekall required KDE and the full QT environment to run.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

Re: LinuxTag account

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I don't know about "ReKall", but last time I looked at "Rekall" there
> was an awful lot of C++ code in there, and the author said he will not
> publish the Windows version under the GPL.

Ahh that may be true... I know that it is "scriptable" in Python so
maybe just the framework is C++. As it is GPL there is nothing stopping
people from making it work on Windows though.

Re: LinuxTag account

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date: