OSCON, postgres live CD

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Okay I want some opinions. I've just about finished a new version of the
postgres live CD for OSCON. However there's a couple of things I've
noticed.

I created one CD with full documentation that has just the base postgres
server with plperl and pgsql the CD comes to about around 100mb.

On the otherhand, there's another version that I prefer myself which has
almost every procedural language including tcl, perl, ruby, R, python,
pgsql and an odbc interface but it comes around 340mb. Now on a CD this
doesn't make too much of a difference however it might be a decision
breaker when it comes to deciding what should be available for download
for the masses.

Please post your thoughts and comments.

Robert

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 06:36, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > On the otherhand, there's another version that I prefer myself which has
> > almost every procedural language including tcl, perl, ruby, R, python,
> > pgsql and an odbc interface but it comes around 340mb. Now on a CD this
> > doesn't make too much of a difference however it might be a decision
> > breaker when it comes to deciding what should be available for download
> > for the masses.
>
> Go with the big one. It's a CD, we might as well use as much of it as
> possible. It would be nice to throw some other things on as well, such
> as some common drivers (DBD::Pg, JDBC), interfaces (phpPgAdmin), and perhaps
> a couple of replication solutions. Having the checksums for the latest
> source files would be great as well.

While I'm not going to OSCON this year, I thought I'd mention that the
3" CD blanks hold about 150 Meg, so the small one might be nice for its
ability to be put in a smaller package and carried in a shirt pocket.

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Scott,

> While I'm not going to OSCON this year, I thought I'd mention that the
> 3" CD blanks hold about 150 Meg, so the small one might be nice for its
> ability to be put in a smaller package and carried in a shirt pocket.

Yeah, these are cute.   Unfortunately, they are substantially more expensive
than regular-sized CD blanks.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Scott,
>
>> While I'm not going to OSCON this year, I thought I'd mention that the
>> 3" CD blanks hold about 150 Meg, so the small one might be nice for its
>> ability to be put in a smaller package and carried in a shirt pocket.
>
> Yeah, these are cute.   Unfortunately, they are substantially more expensive
> than regular-sized CD blanks.

Just a thought, but could be something booth staff has in their pocket to
hand out to ppl that they actually talk to, instead of ppl just walking by
the booth sucking up all the freebies they can ... ?

----

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 10:38, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Scott,
>
> > While I'm not going to OSCON this year, I thought I'd mention that the
> > 3" CD blanks hold about 150 Meg, so the small one might be nice for its
> > ability to be put in a smaller package and carried in a shirt pocket.
>
> Yeah, these are cute.   Unfortunately, they are substantially more expensive
> than regular-sized CD blanks.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=365342

That's only 35 cents each.  The 100 packs of 5.25"s I buy are 20 cents
each, so that's not too bad.

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Just wanted to make a quick reminder of the label template that I made
for previous cd's and conferences:

http://pgsql.gavinroy.com/cdlabel

Gavin

Scott Marlowe wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 06:36, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>>>On the otherhand, there's another version that I prefer myself which has
>>>almost every procedural language including tcl, perl, ruby, R, python,
>>>pgsql and an odbc interface but it comes around 340mb. Now on a CD this
>>>doesn't make too much of a difference however it might be a decision
>>>breaker when it comes to deciding what should be available for download
>>>for the masses.
>>>

>>Go with the big one. It's a CD, we might as well use as much of it as
>>possible. It would be nice to throw some other things on as well, such
>>as some common drivers (DBD::Pg, JDBC), interfaces (phpPgAdmin), and perhaps
>>a couple of replication solutions. Having the checksums for the latest
>>source files would be great as well.
>>

>While I'm not going to OSCON this year, I thought I'd mention that the
>3" CD blanks hold about 150 Meg, so the small one might be nice for its
>ability to be put in a smaller package and carried in a shirt pocket.

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Guys,

It looks like I'll be able to get virtually all the bells and
whistles
on less than 150mb. I do like those small CD blanks and they
would make
us distinctive and dare I say cool.

I  should be finished monday.

Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Just wanted to make a quick reminder of the label template that I made
> for previous cd's and conferences:
>
> http://pgsql.gavinroy.com/cdlabel

Excellent!

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Scott,

> That's only 35 cents each.  The 100 packs of 5.25"s I buy are 20 cents
> each, so that's not too bad.

Um ... to be more clear:   "Considerably more expensive to get professionally
printed."   CD burning factories are set up for standard-sized CDs; anything
else is a lot more money.   Unless you know a company that specializes in
them.

Also, the mini-cds don't work in a lot of DVD players and CD-burners.  I think
they're cute, too, but not that practical.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 17:41, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Scott,
>
> > That's only 35 cents each.  The 100 packs of 5.25"s I buy are 20 cents
> > each, so that's not too bad.
>
> Um ... to be more clear:   "Considerably more expensive to get professionally
> printed."   CD burning factories are set up for standard-sized CDs; anything
> else is a lot more money.   Unless you know a company that specializes in
> them.
>
> Also, the mini-cds don't work in a lot of DVD players and CD-burners.  I think
> they're cute, too, but not that practical.

This page, and many others I looked at, seem to say otherwise:

http://www.edocpublish.com/services.htm

Re: OSCON, postgres live CD

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
If we end up doing the pre-printed route, let me know, I'd be happy to
provide ready to use artwork for the production house so they look
professional :)

Gavin