How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL hold?

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
Apparently, it can manage at least one of 'em.

http://gcn.com/23_5/tech-report/25133-1.html

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:

> Apparently, it can manage at least one of 'em.
>
> http://gcn.com/23_5/tech-report/25133-1.html

Cool!!! But I was a little bothered by this backhanded comment:

She described the software as "one step up from MySQL," a popular
open-source database manager.

ouch...

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

I've already sent an e-mailto the project organizers.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've already sent an e-mailto the project organizers.

Is this something for our main News page?

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Apparently, it can manage at least one of 'em.
>
> http://gcn.com/23_5/tech-report/25133-1.html

This is something we really need on our front page news section.  MySQL
puts any old crap that's good for them there - we should too.

Chris

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Monday 08 March 2004 23:29, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Apparently, it can manage at least one of 'em.
> >
> > http://gcn.com/23_5/tech-report/25133-1.html
>
> Cool!!! But I was a little bothered by this backhanded comment:
>
> She described the software as "one step up from MySQL," a popular
> open-source database manager.

To be fair, a similar phrase was used for the moon landings - you'll probably
find the second half of the quote got edited out ;-)

Good association for PG though

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
Robby Russell
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne typed this on 03/08/2004 05:31 PM:
>> Apparently, it can manage at least one of 'em.
>>
>> http://gcn.com/23_5/tech-report/25133-1.html
>

> This is something we really need on our front page news section.  MySQL
> puts any old crap that's good for them there - we should too.
>
> Chris

Do it. Do it!

The more news the better... ;-)

-Robby

--
Robby Russell,  |  Sr. Administrator / Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc.   |  http://www.commandprompt.com

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 14:24, Robby Russell wrote:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne typed this on 03/08/2004 05:31 PM:
> >> Apparently, it can manage at least one of 'em.
> >>
> >> http://gcn.com/23_5/tech-report/25133-1.html
> >

> > This is something we really need on our front page news section.  MySQL
> > puts any old crap that's good for them there - we should too.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Do it. Do it!
>
> The more news the better... ;-)

I think we are waiting to here back from Josh/Project leaders.

Robert Treat

Re: How many Libraries of Congress can PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I think we are waiting to here back from Josh/Project leaders.

Yes, we are.  Thank you for waiting.

According to the project, they will "launch" in less than 3 weeks.   At that
time, they will send me an announcement we can put in the News.   Until then,
let's wait.

Robert Bernier, if you want to do a case study, they are very friendly toward
us.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions