Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

We've been issued a challenge ... so Vote!  Vote!  Vote!

-------------------------
Hey Gents,

You might want to rally the troops -> http://www.oreilly.com/
-------------------------

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Larry Rosenman

--On Saturday, February 07, 2004 21:41:29 -0800 Josh Berkus
<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We've been issued a challenge ... so Vote!  Vote!  Vote!
>
> -------------------------
> Hey Gents,
>
> You might want to rally the troops -> http://www.oreilly.com/
Where on that MASSIVE site is what we need to vote at?

LER

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Larry,

> Where on that MASSIVE site is what we need to vote at?

Front page, far right column, toward the bottom.
www.oreilly.com

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Larry Rosenman

--On Saturday, February 07, 2004 21:53:51 -0800 Josh Berkus
<josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Larry,
>
>> Where on that MASSIVE site is what we need to vote at?
>
> Front page, far right column, toward the bottom.
> www.oreilly.com
Oh, the "favorite Database poll"?

Done.
:-)

> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
elein
Date:
Ahem, we are not all "gents".  You can point me where
to give that feedback.

elein

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:41:29PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We've been issued a challenge ... so Vote!  Vote!  Vote!
>
> -------------------------
> Hey Gents,
>
> You might want to rally the troops -> http://www.oreilly.com/

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Joshua Drake
elein wrote:
> Ahem, we are not all "gents".  You can point me where
> to give that feedback.
>
> elein
>

> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 09:41:29PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>Folks,
>>
>>We've been issued a challenge ... so Vote!  Vote!  Vote!
>>
>>-------------------------
>>Hey Gents,
>>
>>You might want to rally the troops -> http://www.oreilly.com/

We should probably post this to General as well.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
The world rejoiced as josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
> We've been issued a challenge ... so Vote!  Vote!  Vote!
>
> You might want to rally the troops -> http://www.oreilly.com/

So I take it that Mayor Daley is counselling us to "vote early; vote
often?"  :-)
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
elein
Date:
If you are talking about my comment, it does not
need to go to general.  If you are talking about
Josh's rally call, it did go to general.

Date:
Elein,

> Ahem, we are not all "gents".  You can point me where
> to give that feedback.

I was forwarding.  Gimme a break, hey?

And the person who sent that mailed it to me & Gavin, so it's accurate.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
elein
Date:
I know the original did not come from you.
You would not say that that way ;-)

I think my point was made, however.
I'm just keeping all of you gents on your toes :-)

elein

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 11:23:48AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Elein,
>
> > Ahem, we are not all "gents".  You can point me where
> > to give that feedback.
>
> I was forwarding.  Gimme a break, hey?
>
> And the person who sent that mailed it to me & Gavin, so it's accurate.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
now if they only had PostgreSQL on the list, it would be worth rallying
about ...

----

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> now if they only had PostgreSQL on the list, it would be worth rallying
> about ...

It is on the list.   Look again.  We're there as Postgres.

Amusingly, the Firebird people have really learned to rally the troops for
these online polls; they're leading this one as well.  Either that, or
they're cheating and using a 'bot.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Amusingly, the Firebird people have really learned to rally the
> troops for these online polls; they're leading this one as well.

... which really points out what a complete waste of time these kinds
of internet polls are.

-Neil

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> ... which really points out what a complete waste of time these kinds
> of internet polls are.

Actually, the poll has accomplished it's job admirably -- the job of
pulling new eyes into the website.

elein wrote:
> If you are talking about my comment, it does not
> need to go to general.  If you are talking about
> Josh's rally call, it did go to general.

Heh.. I was talking about Josh's.... and yes I saw that after the
fact... The downside to having 10 mail lists.

But hey if you want to announce to General that you are a lady and not a
Gent... more power to you ;)

elein wrote:
> I know the original did not come from you.
> You would not say that that way ;-)
>
> I think my point was made, however.
> I'm just keeping all of you gents on your toes :-)

Well I guess one would wonder if you are the "only" lady in the group ;)

Date:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, neilc@samurai.com (Neil Conway) wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Amusingly, the Firebird people have really learned to rally the
>> troops for these online polls; they're leading this one as well.
>
> ... which really points out what a complete waste of time these kinds
> of internet polls are.

That is certainly the case for this one.

Building a "voting bot" would doubtless be quite easy.

And the results are silly, anyways; it's nothing more than a vague
popularity contest.  For instance, I'd rather use Informix than most
of the other options, but its percentage of popularity is just
vanishingly minscule.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html

Date:
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
> > now if they only had PostgreSQL on the list, it would be worth rallying
> > about ...
>
> It is on the list.   Look again.  We're there as Postgres.

You'd think that, of all ppl. O'Reilly would know the correct spelling ...
but, then again, you'd like that the advocacy group would try and correct
that, no?

----

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
Thankfully, their website database is not PostgreSQL.  We don't have to
worry about Referential Integrity catching duplicate votes... :)

Merlin

Re: Fwd: Favorite DB poll on ORA

From
Casey Allen Shobe
Date:
On Sunday 08 February 2004 20:16, Joshua Drake wrote:
> Well I guess one would wonder if you are the "only" lady in the group ;)

PostgreSQL ladies?  Neat.  Where do I get one?

--
  Casey Allen Shobe  |  http://casey.allen.shobe.info
    cshobe@osss.net  |  ICQ: 1494523  |  AIM: SomeLinuxGuy