7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Hi,

Did somebody submitted it? I was looking forward for some juicy commentary..:-)

It is not yet there..

  Shridhar

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I submit'd it, and it got rejected ...

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Shridhar
Daithankar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did somebody submitted it? I was looking forward for some juicy commentary..:-)
>
> It is not yet there..
>
>   Shridhar

----

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:08:58AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I submit'd it, and it got rejected ...

Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
PostgreSQL :-)

"There is evil in the world. There are dark, awful things. Occasionally, we get
a glimpse of them. But there are dark corners; horrors almost impossible to
imagine... even in our worst nightmares." (Van Helsing, Dracula A.D. 1972)

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 09:36, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:08:58AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > I submit'd it, and it got rejected ...
>
> Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
> PostgreSQL :-)

Yeah really... that seems like almost enough of a nugget for a news item
itself...  "slashdot rejects announcement of a major release of a major
open source software project"... an insider for the venerable news site
who spoke on the condition of anonymity said "every time we put up a
postgresql news item, the flame wars that erupt from the other open
source databases completely overload our message boards. as long as we
keep running on mysql, we just can't afford to give postgresql any press
coverage"...

:-)

Robert Treat

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 09:36, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:08:58AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > I submit'd it, and it got rejected ...
>
> Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
> PostgreSQL :-)

I managed to get a 7.3 release posted on /. -- so I'll give it a shot.

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rod,

> > Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
> > PostgreSQL :-)
>
> I managed to get a 7.3 release posted on /. -- so I'll give it a shot.

If you haven't done it already, try linking to the Computerworld.au article
for the submission.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 11:08, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Rod,
>
> > > Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
> > > PostgreSQL :-)
> >
> > I managed to get a 7.3 release posted on /. -- so I'll give it a shot.
>
> If you haven't done it already, try linking to the Computerworld.au article
> for the submission.

I tried with the LinuxWorld article and the release notes.

Rejected...

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl (Alvaro Herrera) writes:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:08:58AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> I submit'd it, and it got rejected ...
>
> Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
> PostgreSQL :-)

Some interesting threads came up on Linux Weekly News to that effect
about the Linux Gazette 'split.'

Synopsis: Linux Gazette was a monthly 'e-zine' that joined up with
SSC, publishers of Linux Journal, for help with web hosting and
editorial matters.  SSC wanted a change of direction, to turn it into
more of a 'Linux daily news portal' thing, which didn't fit with the
intent of LG 'staff.'

There has been a fork: SSC kept the linuxgazette.com domain; the
"Answer Gang" have registered linuxgazette.net to continue on with the
'monthly thing.'  And SSC has been censoring complaints about the
matter.

Reporting on Slashdot censorship could be news :-).
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'libertyrms.info';
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> I tried with the LinuxWorld article and the release notes.
>
> Rejected...

Interesting.   I'll have to drop a note to some of the Slashdot crew to see
what's going on.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Hmmm ....

Can somebody see if they can dig up a direct e-mail or two for me?   Hemos,
Taco, & Neal are pretty hard to reach, otherwise they'd be flooded with
e-mail.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Never mind, Christopher Kings-Lynne got us on.

Go Chris!

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>>Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
>>PostgreSQL :-)
>

> I managed to get a 7.3 release posted on /. -- so I'll give it a shot.

Too late guys, I win :P

Chris

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> >>Submit a note to other site saying that Slashdot rejects news about
> >>PostgreSQL :-)
> >

> > I managed to get a 7.3 release posted on /. -- so I'll give it a shot.
>
> Too late guys, I win :P

I'd like to know the criteria for accepting, cause your text was exactly
the same as my text, but I added a link to the press release to it :(

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Never mind, Christopher Kings-Lynne got us on.
>
> Go Chris!

It's funny.  I didn't submit a particularly lengthy or well-thought out
one, because I didn't realise I'd actually get accepted :)

Chris

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Never mind, Christopher Kings-Lynne got us on.
>
> Go Chris!

Actually, what I notice is that back in 7.1 days, etc. SlashDot would be
full of people ripping off Postgres, nowadays it's 95% people in full
favour of Postgres and against MySQL.

Things have really changed for the better.

Chris

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Never mind, Christopher Kings-Lynne got us on.
> >
> > Go Chris!
>
> Actually, what I notice is that back in 7.1 days, etc. SlashDot would be
> full of people ripping off Postgres, nowadays it's 95% people in full
> favour of Postgres and against MySQL.
>
> Things have really changed for the better.

Yes!  I read the entire thread and our message is clearly getting out.
I never would have seen that 2 years ago.

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> I'd like to know the criteria for accepting, cause your text was exactly
> the same as my text, but I added a link to the press release to it :(

I thought about that, but then I decided that SlashDot is a tech crowd
so I linked to the more technical list which itself has a link to the
Press Release...

Chris

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Yes!  I read the entire thread and our message is clearly getting out.
> I never would have seen that 2 years ago.

I had some moderation points saved up so I could 'nudge' things in the
right direction :).   Despite that though the Slashdot community clearly
seems to be aware of the various advantages of Postgres.

Merlin

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> I had some moderation points saved up so I could 'nudge' things in the
> right direction :).   Despite that though the Slashdot community clearly
> seems to be aware of the various advantages of Postgres.

I'm a bit more cynical than that ... I've noticed that our popularity on
Slashdot has increased directly with MySQL's profitability.    Slashdot
favors the underdog, no matter what ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm a bit more cynical than that ... I've noticed that our popularity
on
> Slashdot has increased directly with MySQL's profitability.
Slashdot
> favors the underdog, no matter what ....

I'll take a slightly more optimistic view.  I personally (and I imagine
most of the tech community would agree) have no problem with people
trying to make a buck or two.  It was their business decisions that are
hurting (and continue to hurt them), most especially their threatening
to get rid of the lgpl license for the non-static libs.  That was a
total PHB maneuver.  This hurt their credibility with the php community,
whose members are their core supporters.  (PHB thinks: they don't pay,
so who cares?)

This is in stark contrast to the PostgreSQL developers, whose
egalitarian methods and decentralized development style reflect the very
spirit about what is 'open source'.  This is reflected in slashdot,
which is the mouthpiece of the liberal spirit of the OSS movement.
Also, while not as widely deployed, postgres has a better educated, more
thoughtful, and generally better paid user base and therefore is not
exactly the 'underdog' of oss databases despite lacking repeated the
bleating in the increasingly useless technical press that mysql enjoys.

Er, I'm preaching to the choir again, when will I learn? :)
Merlin

Re: 7.4 not yet covered on /.

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> I'll take a slightly more optimistic view.  I personally (and I imagine
> most of the tech community would agree) have no problem with people
> trying to make a buck or two.  It was their business decisions that are
> hurting (and continue to hurt them), most especially their threatening
> to get rid of the lgpl license for the non-static libs.  That was a
> total PHB maneuver.  This hurt their credibility with the php community,
> whose members are their core supporters.  (PHB thinks: they don't pay,
> so who cares?)

Well, don't forget.. MySQL AB has a product now which surpasses postgresql in
feature, at least in some areas. It is called MaxDB..-)

> This is in stark contrast to the PostgreSQL developers, whose
> egalitarian methods and decentralized development style reflect the very
> spirit about what is 'open source'.  This is reflected in slashdot,
> which is the mouthpiece of the liberal spirit of the OSS movement.
> Also, while not as widely deployed, postgres has a better educated, more
> thoughtful, and generally better paid user base and therefore is not
> exactly the 'underdog' of oss databases despite lacking repeated the
> bleating in the increasingly useless technical press that mysql enjoys.

IMO, we should get above that. PostgreSQL succeeds not because it is open source
but because it works.(Or thankfully does not work at all when it does not work.
It is the gray area that causes pain..)

Postgresql being open source and being successful are two absolutely differnt
things.

Yes. It does help it become successful by being open source. But that is not the
topmost reason for being successful. Certainly not.

  Shridhar