DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
"Getting free software and installing can sometimes be a daunting task. Not so
with PostgreSQL. ..."

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/postgresql/article.php/3064861

Short but encouraging.

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:43:25PM +0200, Ian Barwick wrote:
> "Getting free software and installing can sometimes be a daunting task. Not so
> with PostgreSQL. ..."

Should there be a link to this on the web site? (Not so much because I
think it's a particularly valuable document, but because I think a
"PostgreSQL in the press"-type section would be good, and help to
encourage future press coverage.)

-Neil

Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From
Jacob Hanson
Date:
I don't agree with this. I mean, it's not *hard* to install
PostgreSQL, but it's nowhere as easy as Firebird or MySQL either.

I mean, with Firebird, you basically run the install script and it
does everything for you, including starting the server, end of story.

With PostgreSQL, unfortunately, (at least when compiling from source
as I do) you have to do several menial tasks, like create a data
directory and set various permissions, add postgresql to chkconfig
(redhat anyway), create a user, start postmaster with that user, then
do an initdb. Not difficult, but more involved that simply running a
script as you do with the others. Now with 7.4, having to manually
setup autovaccuum is another thing to do.

If I knew anything about shell scripting I'd offer to help streamline
the process. But alas...

Jacob

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:43:25 +0200, barwick@gmx.net (Ian Barwick)
wrote:
>"Getting free software and installing can sometimes be a daunting task. Not so
>with PostgreSQL. ..."

Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 28 Aug 2003 at 9:07, Jacob Hanson wrote:
> If I knew anything about shell scripting I'd offer to help streamline
> the process. But alas...

Problem is there are customizations people often do between these steps.

e.g. If you write a shell script, how would somebody symlink WAL directory to
another drive.

OK, somebody who knows to symlink WAL directory would know setting up
postgresql from scratch like back of his hand. But that's just one point.

I agree that dumbing down is good to lower initial entry barrier. But it's a
concios choice. Postgresql always value choice and power over dumbing down
things.

Of course there could be enough documentation to make it look really easy. Like
http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresQL101

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Yes, it is written.  Good shall always destroy evil.        -- Sirah the Yang, "The
Omega Glory", stardate unknown

Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Jacob Hanson wrote:

> I don't agree with this. I mean, it's not *hard* to install
> PostgreSQL, but it's nowhere as easy as Firebird or MySQL either.

Actually, while MySQL is quite easy to install in binary formats (RPM,
etc...)  I've found it MUCH harder to install and get running from source
than is postgresql.  And there are lots of switches for things like data
casting / input coercien, and ISO standards following for mysql that you
don't have to worry about with postgresql.

The fact that MySQL will run as root makes installation much easier, but
also has its very real drawbacks from a security perspective.  I've seen
at least 3 root exploits for redhat's mysql package in the last year.
I've NEVER seen a root exploit for postgresql, since it refuses to run as
such.

> I mean, with Firebird, you basically run the install script and it
> does everything for you, including starting the server, end of story.
>
> With PostgreSQL, unfortunately, (at least when compiling from source
> as I do) you have to do several menial tasks, like create a data
> directory and set various permissions, add postgresql to chkconfig
> (redhat anyway), create a user, start postmaster with that user, then
> do an initdb. Not difficult, but more involved that simply running a
> script as you do with the others. Now with 7.4, having to manually
> setup autovaccuum is another thing to do.

However, From packages they are both easy as dirt to install.  But
Postgresql requires more know how to configure once it's installed, i.e.
postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf.  Using RPMs cuts down on the amount of
work a postgresql install needs by a huge amount.

Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From
Harald Fuchs
Date:
In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0308281407550.4537-100000@css120.ihs.com>,
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:

> The fact that MySQL will run as root makes installation much easier, but
> also has its very real drawbacks from a security perspective.

Minor nit: although MySQL starts as root, it switches soon to another
user (normally named "mysql").