another project for techdocs?

From
elein
Date:
There was recently a request for a sample
database for postgresql on pgsql-general.

The point of having one or more of these
is to show off features.

Illustra had the video store database.
Informix had something similar as did
Sybase and Ingres.  Oracle apparently
has several examples of databases
to show off a variety of market focussed
features.  And there is the ubiquitous
department-division-employees variations.

These are usually small applications,
ideally including a front end which
require basic rdbms features (shows
solidity) and a few of the whiz bang
features (shows off).  The techniques
in the app can be mined by new
developers, too.

The applications should be re-usable in
tutorials or classes.

Does anyone have things like this built
already?  I have a couple of very small apps,
but they are generally tied to reporting.

Or is anyone interested in creating
a new one?  Or packaging up an exisiting one?
I'd be happy to collaborate on one
but I don't have the bandwidth to code
up a new one.

elein

Re: another project for techdocs?

From
Joe Conway
elein wrote:
> Does anyone have things like this built
> already?  I have a couple of very small apps,
> but they are generally tied to reporting.
>
> Or is anyone interested in creating
> a new one?  Or packaging up an exisiting one?

I'd think you should ask this question on the general list.

> I'd be happy to collaborate on one
> but I don't have the bandwidth to code
> up a new one.

I'm in the same boat. I can contribute, but I don't want to lead such an
effort. I'd be happy to write some plpgsql functions, or even some C
functions if someone gave me a spec for what they need -- particularly
if they involve SRFs, arrays, or polymorphic functions. Or maybe if we
do a sample data warehouse I could contribute some PL/R analytical
functions.

Joe

Re: another project for techdocs?

From
Hornyak Laszlo

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, elein wrote:

> There was recently a request for a sample
> database for postgresql on pgsql-general.
>
> The point of having one or more of these
> is to show off features.
>
> Illustra had the video store database.
> Informix had something similar as did
> Sybase and Ingres.  Oracle apparently
> has several examples of databases
> to show off a variety of market focussed
> features.  And there is the ubiquitous
> department-division-employees variations.
>
> These are usually small applications,
> ideally including a front end which
> require basic rdbms features (shows
> solidity) and a few of the whiz bang
> features (shows off).  The techniques
> in the app can be mined by new
> developers, too.
>
> The applications should be re-usable in
> tutorials or classes.
>
> Does anyone have things like this built
> already?  I have a couple of very small apps,
> but they are generally tied to reporting.

Errr... I am working on a PostgreSQL schema that emulates a unix
filesystem. It works with inheritance, have triggers and pl/pgSQL
functions. I have a slightly modified java ftpserver (from
jakarta incubator-ftpserver) that serves files from it. It is in very beta
version.
I think it takes 1-2 weeks to get it into publishable form, if you need
it.

Laci