benchmarks

From
elein
Date:
I have someone willing to do a canned
benchmark on HP/ux involving Sybase,
Oracle and PostgreSQL and publish
the results here.  Names or no-names.
But the benchmarks should be fairly
well pre-canned. For example, the
postgresql.conf should probably not
be out of the box.

Who/what can I point him to?  I do not
follow benchmarks.

elein

Re: benchmarks

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Friday 25 July 2003 19:24, elein wrote:
> I have someone willing to do a canned
> benchmark on HP/ux involving Sybase,
> Oracle and PostgreSQL and publish
> the results here.  Names or no-names.
> But the benchmarks should be fairly
> well pre-canned. For example, the
> postgresql.conf should probably not
> be out of the box.

Publishing them might be tricky now that you've mentioned the DBs concerned.

> Who/what can I point him to?  I do not
> follow benchmarks.

You mean other than:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html  ;-)

Or are you looking for a set of tests? If so perhaps
http://osdb.sourceforge.net/

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: benchmarks

From
Richard Schilling
Date:
I would suggest doing the same benchmarks that are used by PC Computing
or other "pop-trade" magazines that do such comparisons.  In fact your
tests should mirror as cloesly as possible to tests done by the
magazines.  Don't worry about having mentioned names.  Being
transparent is important with benchmarks.

Richard Schilling

On 2003.07.25 11:24 elein wrote:
> I have someone willing to do a canned
> benchmark on HP/ux involving Sybase,
> Oracle and PostgreSQL and publish
> the results here.  Names or no-names.
> But the benchmarks should be fairly
> well pre-canned. For example, the
> postgresql.conf should probably not
> be out of the box.
>
> Who/what can I point him to?  I do not
> follow benchmarks.
>
> elein
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: benchmarks

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 26 July 2003 10:32, Richard Huxton wrote:
> On Friday 25 July 2003 19:24, elein wrote:
> > I have someone willing to do a canned
> > benchmark on HP/ux involving Sybase,
> > Oracle and PostgreSQL and publish
> > the results here.  Names or no-names.
> > But the benchmarks should be fairly
> > well pre-canned. For example, the
> > postgresql.conf should probably not
> > be out of the box.
>
> Publishing them might be tricky now that you've mentioned the DBs
> concerned.

When you publish, make sure to leave out any specfific propriatery db names,
use phrases like "The market leading database".

> > Who/what can I point him to?  I do not
> > follow benchmarks.
>
> You mean other than:
> http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html  ;-)

iirc Josh was working with some folks on the -performance list to put together
some benchmarking.

> Or are you looking for a set of tests? If so perhaps
> http://osdb.sourceforge.net/

or if you want to do some digging, you might see if those eweek "database
shootout" benchmarks are still available and appropriate.

Robert Treat

Re: benchmarks

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
People,

> iirc Josh was working with some folks on the -performance list to put
> together some benchmarking.

Yes, me, Kevin Brown, Sean Ch.  But this is a major project, and I've been too
busy with other things to make any progress on it.
--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions