RedHat Enterprise Applications

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
We seem to be powering the latest RedHat software:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhea/

Chris

Re: RedHat Enterprise Applications

From
greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: RedHat Enterprise Applications

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> The screenshots for the "PostgreSQL - Red Hat Edition Graphical
> Tools" look really nice.

They look pretty clean... but do people use these kinds of
things? Particulraly visual explain. I'm not putting these projects down
-- I'm genuinely interested. Perhaps there will be a greater calling for
them when PostgreSQL native windows port is released.

Still, products like these bring a professional/commercial feel to
PostgreSQL which can only benefit the project.

Gavin

Re: RedHat Enterprise Applications

From
Scott Lamb
Date:
On Thursday, Apr 10, 2003, at 00:16 US/Central, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 greg@turnstep.com wrote:
>
>> The screenshots for the "PostgreSQL - Red Hat Edition Graphical
>> Tools" look really nice.
>
> They look pretty clean... but do people use these kinds of
> things? Particulraly visual explain. I'm not putting these projects
> down
> -- I'm genuinely interested. Perhaps there will be a greater calling
> for
> them when PostgreSQL native windows port is released.

Visual explain, yes. I definitely use it in Oracle, though maybe I'd be
less likely to do so if plain explain produced semi-readable results
rather than just dumping everything into plan_table in a
non-human-friendly format. But having the GUI tree
(expandable/collapsible) is very helpful for complicated plans. And the
explanation of each type of step is useful if you're inexperienced in
CS algorithms. (What's a merge join? Is it good or bad
performance-wise? There are plenty of database people around who can't
answer that without looking it up.) Oracle's tool shows this in the
lower part of the window whenever you select a step, so looking it up
is already done.

The others...I don't use them much, but my coworkers do. If remembering
the structure of the data dictionary and syntax for DDL commands isn't
your thing, these sorts of tools are nice.

Scott