gborg - who maintains it?

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Just wondering who maintains gborg. The ad banners have been down for
days, at times loading very slowly and making the site unusable, and at
the moment just not found at all.

Also, the "contact" link lists an unfamiliar email address
(xgbe@yahoo.com) -- is that current?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: gborg - who maintains it?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Joe Conway wrote:

> Just wondering who maintains gborg. The ad banners have been down for
> days, at times loading very slowly and making the site unusable, and at
> the moment just not found at all.

looking into that one already, as I've noticed similar with no apparent
cause ...

> Also, the "contact" link lists an unfamiliar email address
> (xgbe@yahoo.com) -- is that current?

Yes, that is Chris Ryan, who both built, and maintains, the site ...

Re: gborg - who maintains it?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 18:36, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Joe Conway wrote:
>
> > Also, the "contact" link lists an unfamiliar email address
> > (xgbe@yahoo.com) -- is that current?
>
> Yes, that is Chris Ryan, who both built, and maintains, the site ...

AFAIK the email stands for "eX Great Bridge Employee" and the code is
based on great bridge's former project repository code, which Chris
spruced up and now maintains for postgresql.

While where somewhat on the topic, has anyone looked at using gforge
(http://gforge.org/) for project hosting? The project is based on the
sourforge gpl'd codebase, and is headed up by Tim Perdue. I've been
following the project for some time now wondering if it would be helpful
to switch to it for our project hosting. Seems like there would be
mutual benefits in that we would be a great promotional point for the
project itself, and we could benefit quite a bit from having our project
hosting code base developed by an active open source project community,
rather than putting it on the shoulders of one person.

Robert Treat

Re: gborg - who maintains it?

From
"Neil Conway"
Date:
Robert Treat said:
> While where somewhat on the topic, has anyone looked at using gforge
> (http://gforge.org/) for project hosting?

Or, just switch to SF itself (or Savannah, if you're paranoid). I have yet
to see anyone make a convincing argument for duplicating all of that
project management infrastructure.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: gborg - who maintains it?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 14:54, Neil Conway wrote:
> Robert Treat said:
> > While where somewhat on the topic, has anyone looked at using gforge
> > (http://gforge.org/) for project hosting?
>
> Or, just switch to SF itself (or Savannah, if you're paranoid). I have yet
> to see anyone make a convincing argument for duplicating all of that
> project management infrastructure.

I don't know what the original reasoning was, but I think the arguments
/now/ would be that:

    * sourceforge no longer uses postgresql as their dbms, so we should try
to avoid using their services and use a service that will reflect better
on the postgresql community.

    * savannah's current ties to GNU might make it difficult for us to work
smoothly within their framework (since postgresql is bsd licensed to
start with).

I'm not going to argue that those are convincing arguments (though they
are for some) but I do think it is nice to have a central repository for
postgresql related projects, especially one that the community has some
control over. If I had to pick between the two, I'd pick gforge :-)

Robert Treat