Re: Creating a framework for the Advocacy and Marketing to operate with

From
greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: Creating a framework for the Advocacy and

From
Jason Hihn
Date:
[Fleshing it out a bit more with things that I'd like to see... I'm in
[]'s ]

Some random thoughts (with some overlapping):

To promote PostgreSQL.
    [Comparisons to Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, Firebird, etc. on
features/performance]
    [Basic Migration plan to/from PostgreSQL for each of the above. Maybe you
can't afford a commercial server just yet, but here's what P can get you in
the mean time, and how hard it would be to change. (I doubt they will want
to though ;-) )]

To provide a public face to the Postgres project.

To interact with the press and general public regarding Postgres.
    [Roadmap, schedule, releases, community bulletin board]

To monitor the press, the web, etc. for any mention of Postgres.

Correcting errors and misconceptions when found.

Soliciting articles and news about Postgres.
    [Testimonials!, Installation registration/counter]

To run the advocacy website, a friendly place where non-developers
can learn about Postgres.
    [Who is a non-developer? This is something that has always confused me. As
an application writer I see my self as a developer, but I'm not involved
with PostgreSQL development. Admins are another set too. ]

To (provide a buffer | act as a liaison ) between the public
and the developers.
    [Publish our bugs openly and honestly]

To analyze the shortcomings of the Postgres project and find ways to
fix them. All types of shortcomings: technical, marketing, perception,
incorrect myths, etc.

[To provide easy and quick access to 3rd party tools and projects.
PostgreSQL Replicator, admin tools, and libraries like sqlapi++. But more
than a list, maybe a rating too.]

[Lastly, is it Postgres, PostgreSQL, and what are the accepted
abbreviations? PG? PGSQL, PgSQL? I'm tired of writing PostgreSQL.. Whoa,
that last one looks like MySQL! ]