Database just hangs at startup

From
Terry Khatri
Date:
Hi,
I am having problems making any connection to the database, it was working fine and problems started when I added a wrong cidr in pg_hba.conf to allow connection from other hosts in the network,  I took out that entry and restarted it but it just does not work it starts up fine but all connections just hang forever, whether I try it with psql or pgadmin III.

Here are the contents of pg_hba.conf
============================

# TYPE DATABASE USER ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trustit

# IPv4 local connections:

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

host all all 192.168.56.0/24 trust

# IPv6 local connections:

host all all ::1/128 trust

# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the

# replication privilege.

#local replication sns84 trust

host replication sns84 127.0.0.1/32 trust

host replication sns84 0.0.0.0/0 trust

host replication sns84 ::1/128 trust

----

Here are the logs
===============

,LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2012-10-16 01:45:00 UZT

,LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress

,LOG: record with zero length at 0/1B95BF48

,LOG: redo is not required

,LOG: autovacuum launcher started

,LOG: database system is ready to accept connections

,WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

,WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

,WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

,WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

,WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

,WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

---

listen_address='^'

Please help me fix it, I am using version 9.2

Thanks

Re: Database just hangs at startup

Date:
Terry Khatri <terrykhatri531@gmail.com> writes:
> I am having problems making any connection to the database, it was working
> fine and problems started when I added a wrong cidr in pg_hba.conf to allow
> connection from other hosts in the network,  I took out that entry and
> restarted it but it just does not work it starts up fine but all
> connections just hang forever, whether I try it with psql or pgadmin III.

> listen_address='^'

Well, that setting is certainly wrong.  Perhaps you meant
listen_address='*'

            regards, tom lane

Re: Database just hangs at startup

From
Scott Whitney
Date:
I'd hate to contradict Tom, and since ^ is probably a typo, and you likely meant *, yes, that's likely, but be sure you understand the implications of listening on all interfaces first. Just saying from an IT point of view.
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Terry Khatri <terrykhatri531@gmail.com> writes:
> I am having problems making any connection to the database, it was working
> fine and problems started when I added a wrong cidr in pg_hba.conf to allow
> connection from other hosts in the network,  I took out that entry and
> restarted it but it just does not work it starts up fine but all
> connections just hang forever, whether I try it with psql or pgadmin III.

> listen_address='^'

Well, that setting is certainly wrong.  Perhaps you meant
listen_address='*'

Re: Database just hangs at startup

From
vipul shah
Date:
Terry,

It looks like typo in local line in pg_hba.conf. I work in pg8.4 and 9.1 but I think that there is nothing like 'trustit' in pg_hba.conf file in 9.2.

local all all trustit

Change this to

local all all trust

Regards,