retaining useful information on my screen

From
"Fred Parkinson"
Date:
I am currently using postgresql version 9.1.3

In the past, when I ran psql and needed useful information provided by commands like \h or \d, the information was presented on the screen and I could proceed with further commands while viewing the information.

Now I need to hit <shift>-q to get out of the \h or \d request, and the information disappears from the screen as well.

2 questions:
1. what was the problem presented by leaving the information up on the screen, which is now solved by removing the information from the screen?

2. Is there way to tell psql NOT to clear the screen, so I can subsequently view it while I work?

Thanks.

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments
510-464-7931

Re: retaining useful information on my screen

From
"Tim Bruce - Postgres"
Date:
On Tue, May 8, 2012 07:28, Fred Parkinson wrote:
> I am currently using postgresql version 9.1.3
>
> In the past, when I ran psql and needed useful information provided by
> commands like \h or \d, the information was presented on the screen and I
> could proceed with further commands while viewing the information.
>
> Now I need to hit <shift>-q to get out of the \h or \d request, and the
> information disappears from the screen as well.
>
> 2 questions:
> 1. what was the problem presented by leaving the information up on the
> screen, which is now solved by removing the information from the screen?
>
> 2. Is there way to tell psql NOT to clear the screen, so I can
> subsequently view it while I work?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Fred Parkinson
> Application Programmer
> Association of Bay Area Governments
> 510-464-7931

Set the environment variable PAGER to solve this problem.  I usually set
it with the following command in my .bashrc file

export PAGER='less -X'

NOTE: That's an uppercase X after the Unix command "less."

--
Timothy J. Bruce

Re: retaining useful information on my screen

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Tim Bruce - Postgres
<postgres@tbruce.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 07:28, Fred Parkinson wrote:
>> I am currently using postgresql version 9.1.3
>>
>> In the past, when I ran psql and needed useful information provided by
>> commands like \h or \d, the information was presented on the screen and I
>> could proceed with further commands while viewing the information.
>>
>> Now I need to hit <shift>-q to get out of the \h or \d request, and the
>> information disappears from the screen as well.
>>
>> 2 questions:
>> 1. what was the problem presented by leaving the information up on the
>> screen, which is now solved by removing the information from the screen?
>>
>> 2. Is there way to tell psql NOT to clear the screen, so I can
>> subsequently view it while I work?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Fred Parkinson
>> Application Programmer
>> Association of Bay Area Governments
>> 510-464-7931
>>

> Set the environment variable PAGER to solve this problem.  I usually set
> it with the following command in my .bashrc file
>
> export PAGER='less -X'
>
> NOTE: That's an uppercase X after the Unix command "less."

I often do:

export PAGER=/bin/cat

when I want even less interference.

Re: retaining useful information on my screen

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
"Fred Parkinson" <FredP@abag.ca.gov> wrote:

> 2. Is there way to tell psql NOT to clear the screen, so I can
> subsequently view it while I work?

\pset pager off

-Kevin