List of postgreSQL databases

From
Renato Oliveira

Dear all,

I know to get a list of all databases on the system one can use: \l or (back slash) (ell)

Is there a specific ‘STATEMENT’ to display the same thing?

For example on MySQL, one would use: show databases;

Ps I can’t seem to find this anywhere.

Thank you very much in advance.

Renato

Renato Oliveira
Systems Administrator
e-mail: renato.oliveira@grant.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0)1763 260811
Fax: +44 (0)1763 262410
www.grant.co.uk

Grant Instruments (Cambridge) Ltd

Company registered in England, registration number 658133

Registered office address:
29 Station Road,
Shepreth,
CAMBS SG8 6GB
UK

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential. It is intended only for the named recipients(s). If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.

VIRUSES: The contents of this e-mail or attachment(s) may contain viruses which could damage your own computer system. Whilst Grant Instruments (Cambridge) Ltd has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachment(s).

OpenXML: For information about the OpenXML file format in use within Grant Instruments please visit our website

Re: List of postgreSQL databases

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 12:22 +0100, Renato Oliveira wrote:

> I know to get a list of all databases on the system one can use: \l or
> (back slash) (ell)
>
> Is there a specific 'STATEMENT' to display the same thing?

Run psql with -E parameter, and then run \l. You'll see the query
there .

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: List of postgreSQL databases

From
Sergey Konoplev
Date:
On 6 April 2010 15:22, Renato Oliveira <renato.oliveira@grant.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there a specific ‘STATEMENT’ to display the same thing?

Try this

SELECT datname FROM pg_database;

--
Sergey Konoplev

Blog: http://gray-hemp.blogspot.com /
Linkedin: http://ru.linkedin.com/in/grayhemp /
JID/GTalk: gray.ru@gmail.com / Skype: gray-hemp / ICQ: 29353802

Re: List of postgreSQL databases

From
Renato Oliveira
Date:
Sergey,

Thank you very much, this is more is great.

Best regards

http://www.grant.co.uk/

http://www.grant.co.uk/Support/openxml.html

Re: List of postgreSQL databases

From
Renato Oliveira
Date:
Devrim,

Thank you very much

PostgreSQL Danismani/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org
Community: devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr http://www.gunduz.org  Twitter:
http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

[...]

Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

I want to raise this topic again.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:39:35 +0400 Sergey Konoplev wrote:

> On 6 April 2010 15:22, Renato Oliveira <renato.oliveira@grant.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Is there a specific ‘STATEMENT’ to display the same thing?
>
> Try this
>
> SELECT datname FROM pg_database;

Is this guaranteed to stay forever? Right now I'm developing a tool
which needs to fetch the lost of available databases. Everytime
I implement a query using pg_* (even such a simple one) I have a bad
feeling about possible future compatibility issues.

Isn't there a way to make the list of databases available in
information_schema and change this view whenever the underlaying
structure might change?

Bye

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: List of postgreSQL databases

Date:
"Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail@wars-nicht.de> writes:
>> SELECT datname FROM pg_database;

> Is this guaranteed to stay forever?

It seems reasonably unlikely that we'd change it.  Even if we did,
we have in the past provided compatibility views (cf pg_user,
pg_shadow) when removing a catalog --- I would think the same would
happen for pg_database if we ever removed it.

> Isn't there a way to make the list of databases available in
> information_schema and change this view whenever the underlaying
> structure might change?

The point of information_schema is that it's standardized.  There
is no view in the SQL standard that corresponds to a list of databases.
If you think there ought to be, take it up with the SQL committee.

            regards, tom lane