Postgres is eating up all my memory

From
ml ml
Date:
Hello List,

postgres 8.2 is not doing too much but eating up all my memory:
http://pastebin.com/m4cf22ee2
The postgresql.conf is at the very bottom of the pastebin.

I guess this is a configuration issue. The CPUs are almost 100% idle
but i seem to run out of memory.

Any idea what i could do here?

Cheers,
Mario

Re: Postgres is eating up all my memory

From
Peter Steinheuser
Date:
Parameters like shared_buffers, work_mem are the ones you'll probably need to adjust.

Work_mem is per user, and can actually be multiples per user, depending on what you're doing.

postgres 8.2 is not doing too much but eating up all my memory:
http://pastebin.com/m4cf22ee2
The postgresql.conf is at the very bottom of the pastebin.

I guess this is a configuration issue. The CPUs are almost 100% idle
but i seem to run out of memory.

Any idea what i could do here?

Cheers,
Mario

Peter Steinheuser
psteinheuser@myyearbook.com

Re: Postgres is eating up all my memory

Date:
Peter Steinheuser <psteinheuser@myyearbook.com> writes:
> Parameters like shared_buffers, work_mem are the ones you'll probably need
> to adjust.

> Work_mem is per user, and can actually be multiples per user, depending on
> what you're doing.

temp_buffers is per-process too --- if there's heavy use of temp tables
in this application, that could be the problem.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres is eating up all my memory

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 7:04 AM, ml ml<mliebherr99@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> postgres 8.2 is not doing too much but eating up all my memory:
> http://pastebin.com/m4cf22ee2
> The postgresql.conf is at the very bottom of the pastebin.
>
> I guess this is a configuration issue. The CPUs are almost 100% idle
> but i seem to run out of memory.
>
> Any idea what i could do here?

Post what has been changed from the defaults on postgresql.conf. I'm
guessing work_mem is a little big, but that's just a guess.

Re: Postgres is eating up all my memory

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
Oh I see that work_mem etc are in the pastebin.  Yeah, 128M is pretty
high work_mem if all 75 connections are working hard that's 9.6Gig of
ram.  which you haven't got.

--
When fascism comes to America, it will be intolerance sold as diversity.