secure connections

From
"c k"
Date:
Hello,

I have a question regarding secure connections between pg clients and pg server. As per manual for 8.3 we can use openssl for this purpose. does odbc driver supports it and how? Is there any other method for this?

Thanks

CPK

Re: [GENERAL] secure connections

From
"Filip Rembiałkowski"
Date:
2008/9/7 c k <shreeseva.learning@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> I have a question regarding secure connections between pg clients and pg
> server. As per manual for 8.3 we can use openssl for this purpose. does odbc
> driver supports it and how? Is there any other method for this?

Yes the ODBC driver (as well as all decent postgres clients) does
support SSL. You can choose SSL mode: disable/prefer/allow/require.

Other method? Encrypted tunnels. VPNs. this kind of stuff.

Remember that establishing SSL session is resource - expensive. This
can be important if you plan lots of connections.

cheers

--
Filip Rembiałkowski

Re: [GENERAL] secure connections

From
"Alejandro D. Burne"
Date:
2008/9/7 Filip Rembiałkowski <plk.zuber@gmail.com>:
> 2008/9/7 c k <shreeseva.learning@gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>> I have a question regarding secure connections between pg clients and pg
>> server. As per manual for 8.3 we can use openssl for this purpose. does odbc
>> driver supports it and how? Is there any other method for this?
>
> Yes the ODBC driver (as well as all decent postgres clients) does
> support SSL. You can choose SSL mode: disable/prefer/allow/require.
>
> Other method? Encrypted tunnels. VPNs. this kind of stuff.
>
> Remember that establishing SSL session is resource - expensive. This
> can be important if you plan lots of connections.
>
> cheers
>
> --
> Filip Rembiałkowski

You can use stunnel + pgbouncer in lots of connections, I'll be using
it without big resources on that machine.

Greetings

Alejandro