autovacuum question

From
Carol Walter
Date:
I ran the command "show autovacuum" and postgres responds with "ON."
My colleague says that I should be able to see it running if I run ps
-aef.  He said that he doesn't trust postgres reporting on itself.
When I run the Unix ps command as above I don't see autovacuum.  Does
anyone know if it's running or not?  This is on a box running Solaris.

Carol

Re: autovacuum question

From
Thomas Pundt
Date:
Hi,

On Friday 30 March 2007 16:43, Carol Walter wrote:
| I ran the command "show autovacuum" and postgres responds with "ON."
| My colleague says that I should be able to see it running if I run ps
| -aef.  He said that he doesn't trust postgres reporting on itself.
| When I run the Unix ps command as above I don't see autovacuum.  Does
| anyone know if it's running or not?  This is on a box running Solaris.

you will only see it if it is currently processing your databases. Look
at the PostgreSQL log file, if it has entries from autovacuum.

Ciao,
Thomas

--
Thomas Pundt <thomas.pundt@rp-online.de> ---- http://rp-online.de/ ----

Re: autovacuum question

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Carol Walter wrote:
> I ran the command "show autovacuum" and postgres responds with "ON."
> My colleague says that I should be able to see it running if I run ps
> -aef.  He said that he doesn't trust postgres reporting on itself.

I wouldn't trust your colleague then ...

> When I run the Unix ps command as above I don't see autovacuum.  Does
> anyone know if it's running or not?  This is on a box running Solaris.

It is running.  It will only appear on the ps output when it's actually
processing a database; after it's done, it'll go away.  Check the logs;
if autovacuum is getting stuck on something (for example failing to
start for some databases), then an error will be logged.

Re: autovacuum question

From
Carol Walter
Date:
Hi, I'm looking in my log file with today's date.  I'm using VIM and
have done a search for a pattern match on "autovac", "vacuum", and
"auto"  VIM returned "string not found" for each search.  Am I
looking for the wrong  string, or is there another log file I should
be looking at?

Carol
On Mar 30, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Thomas Pundt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday 30 March 2007 16:43, Carol Walter wrote:
> | I ran the command "show autovacuum" and postgres responds with "ON."
> | My colleague says that I should be able to see it running if I
> run ps
> | -aef.  He said that he doesn't trust postgres reporting on itself.
> | When I run the Unix ps command as above I don't see autovacuum.
> Does
> | anyone know if it's running or not?  This is on a box running
> Solaris.
>
> you will only see it if it is currently processing your databases.
> Look
> at the PostgreSQL log file, if it has entries from autovacuum.
>
> Ciao,
> Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas Pundt <thomas.pundt@rp-online.de> ---- http://rp-online.de/
> ----

Re: autovacuum question

From
Thomas Pundt
Date:
On Wednesday 04 April 2007 20:40, Carol Walter wrote:
| Hi, I'm looking in my log file with today's date.  I'm using VIM and
| have done a search for a pattern match on "autovac", "vacuum", and
| "auto"  VIM returned "string not found" for each search.  Am I
| looking for the wrong  string, or is there another log file I should
| be looking at?

No; mine has entries like

[::2007-04-05 09:04:10 CEST] LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "postgres"

and the only settings different from default are

  log_min_error_statement = warning
  log_min_duration_statement = 1000
  log_line_prefix = '[%u:%d:%t] '

  autovacuum = on