Postgres encyrption export

From
"Tom Dong"

We are wondering whether there has been US Commerce Department review of the Postgres application for export. Specifically, we understand Postgres contains encryption capabilities, and we would like to include the application with our products delivered outside the US. Can you let me know whether that review has occurred, and if so, the result? If you have not had a review, know of any companies that have?

Thank!

Tom

Re: Postgres encyrption export

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:01:26 -0500,
  Tom Dong <TDong@witness.com> wrote:

> We are wondering whether there has been US Commerce Department review of
> the Postgres application for export. Specifically, we understand
> Postgres contains encryption capabilities, and we would like to include
> the application with our products delivered outside the US. Can you let
> me know whether that review has occurred, and if so, the result? If you
> have not had a review, know of any companies that have?

Isn't there an exception for cases where the source is published?

Re: Postgres encyrption export

From
"Tom Dong"
Date:
Not really.  The review process is more like disclosure than control.
For shipping oversea, any products involving encryption must disclose
the encryption features/capabilities.  Commercial products usually have
already gone through this process by the vendors, namely disclosed to
the government.  Products that include commercial encryption libraries
can usually quote the ECCN (some export permission number) of these
commercial products.

We are currently looking for any information regarding to the ECCN or
other export review information of postgres.

Thanks!
tom

> We are wondering whether there has been US Commerce Department review
of
> the Postgres application for export. Specifically, we understand
> Postgres contains encryption capabilities, and we would like to
include
> the application with our products delivered outside the US. Can you
let
> me know whether that review has occurred, and if so, the result? If
you
> have not had a review, know of any companies that have?

Isn't there an exception for cases where the source is published?

Re: Postgres encyrption export

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Dong wrote:
> We are wondering whether there has been US Commerce Department review
> of the Postgres application for export.

The Debian project submits all software it distributes to said
department, so one can be fairly assured that they have heard of
PostgreSQL, but how that affects what you are distributing I'm not
sure.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Postgres encyrption export

From
"Tom Dong"
Date:
I am still searching for information on the internet about Postgres
Export review by US Commerce department.

I did see an early email posted on POstgres mailing list about ECCN
number of Postgres and saw the response debating if Postgres should be
considered a US product.  But I did not see any conclusion to that
question, namely if POstgres has an ECCN number and if Postgres is a US
product.

Thanks!
tom

Tom Dong wrote:
> I am still searching for information on the internet about Postgres
> Export review by US Commerce department.
>
> I did see an early email posted on POstgres mailing list about ECCN
> number of Postgres and saw the response debating if Postgres should be
> considered a US product.  But I did not see any conclusion to that
> question, namely if POstgres has an ECCN number and if Postgres is a US
> product.

I have not seen any activity on that topic for years, so my guess is
that nothing has been researched in that area.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Date:
Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2007 23:03 schrieb Tom Dong:
> I did see an early email posted on POstgres mailing list about ECCN
> number of Postgres and saw the response debating if Postgres should be
> considered a US product.

According to the lawyers I'm involved with, the contributions by US citizens
or residents are certainly significant enought to make this true for the
purpose of export or embargo control.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Postgres encyrption export

From
"Ben K."
Date:
There were similar discussions for mozilla and linux. I don't know more
than what's in the articles. Perhaps there are people in the know on this
list. Hope this is not too irrelevant.

http://hecker.org/mozilla/eccn
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7311
http://www.bakernet.com/ecommerce/usencryption.doc

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Tom Dong wrote:

> I am still searching for information on the internet about Postgres
> Export review by US Commerce department.
>
> I did see an early email posted on POstgres mailing list about ECCN
> number of Postgres and saw the response debating if Postgres should be
> considered a US product.  But I did not see any conclusion to that
> question, namely if POstgres has an ECCN number and if Postgres is a US
> product.
>
> Thanks!
> tom

Regards,