pg_hba.conf includes

From
"Adam Fernie"
Date:
Hi,

I'm trying to use an include file to add a list of host addresses to the
pg_hba.conf file.

The line in pg_hba.conf looks like...

host    dbname      all     @myhosts 255.255.255.255 md5

If I put a single ip or hostname in the file it works a treat but I
don't know how to include more than 1 host or IP address is the file.
Should it be comma seperated, newline for each file or something
different?

I'm using postgres 7.4 on debian.

Cheers

Adam

Scanned by Serendipity Interactive -  MYmailSAFE

Re: pg_hba.conf includes

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
> host    dbname      all     @myhosts 255.255.255.255 md5
>
> If I put a single ip or hostname in the file it works a treat but I
> don't know how to include more than 1 host or IP address is the file.
> Should it be comma seperated, newline for each file or something
> different?

You can add additional lines for each IP.

Or if all of your clients are on the same sub-network, then you can alter your net mask in the
above line to allow them. i.e. <255.255.255.0>  So for example if your client is 191.168.1.100 and
your next mask is 255.255.255.0, then all ip like 192.168.1.* will be allowed to connect.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: pg_hba.conf includes

From
"Adam Fernie"
Date:
Hi,

I understand how the subnetting works.  What I had problems with was
putting more than one IP address / hostname into the include file.

If my include file looks like so...
<file start>
1.2.3.4
<file end>
Then it works fine

If the include file looks like this...
<file start>
1.2.3.4
1.2.3.5
<file end>
Then it doesn't work (for either address) and I get an error like...
psql: FATAL:  missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file

Hope someone can help here...

Adam

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq