Need to upgrade postgres 7.4 to 8.1

From
Date:
Need Help.  Need to upgrade our postgres 7.4 database to 8.1 in order to
upgrade our Lyris Listmanager from 8.1 to 9.  I am running into
problems.  I get invalid UTF-8  byte sequences.  We are running Linux
RedHat AS3.  The database dump is 4.5 Gig.  I tried the command iconv -c
-f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 -o cleanfile postdump.  It said 'file too large'.
Note, I used postgres 8.1 pg_dump command that is recommended..    Any
suggestions?   Thanks, John

John Kapustik
Systems Administrator
Office (202) 822 7531
Cell (202) 285 5163
Only the individual sender is responsible for the content of the
message, and the message does not necessarily reflect the position
or policy of the National Education Association or its affiliates.

Need to upgrade postgres 7.4 to 8.1

From
Karen Springer
Date:
I had the same problem last week.  iconv cleaned up my dump file, but
removed characters I actually wanted (degree & micro symbols).  I tried
changing the encoding to Latin1 in my pg_dumpall file.  This did seem to
help some, though there was still a problem with some of the characters.
  I finally ended up fixing the data.  In our case I think the invalid
characters were created when we did transfers from Cadstar into Access &
then into Postgres.  The characters were not true degree & micro UTF-8
characters, but junk that still looked ok in Access & Postgres 7.4.

Karen