Postmaster log perms and line suffix

From
Jerry Sievers
Date:
Pgadmins, 2 loosly related questions

1. We have need to let developers view the postmaster logs on some of
   our environments and wish NOT to give them access to the postgres
   Unix acct if possible.  It looks though as if log file perms are
   determined by the global umask set in postmaster.c and is not
   changeable without either changing the umask or adding some chmod
   lines to syslogger.c.

Q: Am I missing an easier way to do this?  I realize the risks
involved here.

2. We have a fairly elaborate and very useful log file parser/analyzer
   running that gathers and reports on long-running-queries, error
   messages and other logged data.  Splitting the log files into
   records is a bit tricky however due to multi-line log records.

Q: Has anyone else wished for a config parm as "log_line_suffix" or
similar that would let us place an arbitrary record seperator string
trailing each log file entry?  Prefix can be used for this but seems a
 bit non-intuitive.

 Comments appreciated.

 Thx

Jerry Sievers   305 854-3001 (home)     WWW ECommerce Consultant
                305 321-1144 (mobile    http://www.JerrySievers.com/

Re: Postmaster log perms and line suffix

From
"Chris Hoover"

1. We have need to let developers view the postmaster logs on some of
   our environments and wish NOT to give them access to the postgres
   Unix acct if possible.  It looks though as if log file perms are
   determined by the global umask set in postmaster.c and is not
   changeable without either changing the umask or adding some chmod
   lines to syslogger.c.

Q: Am I missing an easier way to do this?  I realize the risks
involved here.

I did this in my non-production systems by having the log files in a different partition from the database.  I symlinked pg_log to the log partition so that the database would see the log files in the expected place.  I then have the permissions on the log partition set so the developers can get in with read only access.  I also use a cron job to set the permissions on the log files each night so they are readable by the developers.  This has been working very well for us.

Re: Postmaster log perms and line suffix

From
Koen Martens
Date:
Chris Hoover wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2006 12:39:26 -0400, *Jerry Sievers* <jerry@jerrysievers.com
> <mailto:jerry@jerrysievers.com>> wrote:
>
>     Pgadmins, 2 loosly related questions
>
>     1. We have need to let developers view the postmaster logs on some of
>        our environments and wish NOT to give them access to the postgres
>        Unix acct if possible.  It looks though as if log file perms are

I would probably use syslog logging for this..

Best,

Koen

Re: Postmaster log perms and line suffix

From
jon
Date:
my 2 cents
1 setup logcheck to send message to a public email box
2 use apache to access log file themself

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq